cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Scammed by third party via direct carrier billing

Dear Optus,

As thousands of customers, I have been scammed by a third party provider called something like Gameraids. You probably know exactly the name as your company has sold my personal information to them so that they can send me text messages and charge me via direct carrier billing. I've read enough articles on know exactly the mechanics of how "double-clicking on a banner/ad" suddenly means you're subscribed to something. The double-clicking, like all the other complaint cases, never happened.

I already see I have an outstanding amount of 52.5 dollars on my account. Sadly, your website fails to ever work properly so I am unable to see the breakdown of the total. However, I have a strong suspicion that the additional costs came from this third party provider from whom I received my first text message yesterday, claiming I have a subscription with them. I'm not paying a single cent to your company until this scam is sorted and the amount due is adjusted accordingly back to 40 dollars which is the total what I pay for my subscription.

I'm so disappointed that in this day and age I have to deal with this shite and to find out how dodgy your company really is by having found a loophole to get more money off its customers via third parties who give them a percentage of their scam-driven profits.

I am not lifting another finger or wasting more energy on this so please don't share articles with me on how I can put my content from third party providers limit to 0.

I look forward to someone getting in touch with me immediately to have this resolved.

I also look forward to sharing this whole experience with my facebook friends, so your approach on my complaint will be broadcasted for everyone to see.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Scammed by third party via direct carrier billing

Optus, you may not be able to stop the scammers but its so within your capability to stop people being scammed. Set new customers MONTHLY PREMIUM SMS SUBSCRIPTION to $0 by default - they can turn it on if they wish. Its only OPtus reputation that gets trashed again and again by this passive collusion.

@NedMac FWIW I've little doubt these scammers don't need clicks on banners. They just pump out SMSs to random mobile numbers. Do contact Optus directly and they should be able to reverse the charges - otherwise you'll just get overdue bills until they cut off your service.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Scammed by third party via direct carrier billing

My apologies that you're having difficulty getting this fixed up, @NedMac. I've just received the PM that you sent through to us so I'll respond in full there

0 Kudos
Top Contributors