Searching...
Accepted Solution

Scam Email?

JaneLiv
 I keep getting these emails but my bill payment is uptodate.  The email address - when I right click it, looks like it is from optus - anyone else getting these and is it a scam?

Hi There,

As a friendly reminder, we noticed you might have forgotten to pay your most recent bill for your account. It was due on the 11/24/2017 for the amount of $85.45.

You can choose to pay it with your regular payment option or head over to (pay my bill - removed the hyperlink!).

Note! If your account information is not updated within the next 48 hours then your ability to use any services provided by Optus such as broadband, wireless, adsl, cable, dialup and email might become restricted.

Pay with Direct Debit - the fee free way to go!

Did you know we have removed credit card fees if you pay by direct debit? That means it's not only easy to pay your bill each month, it's fee free and your bill is automatically taken care of for you each month. And that means more time for important stuff!

All the best! .

The Optus Team .

Solution

Re: Scam Email?

markdennis

if the website is not below

https://secure.optus.com.au/access/index.aspx?a=147942&dl=ExtPayMyBill&_ga=2.78870679.24797954.15119...

then do not provide you card numbers

best way to setup direct debit is logging it thru myaccount not providing them thru email

Solution

petergdownload

Its a scam. Possible indicators:

1. Not personally addressed to you ("Hi There")

2. Direct Link to payment option  - NEVER use these even if legit. Make your own way to a payment option.

3. American date notation (11/24/2017)

Scammers are getting better (not sure why its taken so long actually). They are using actual emails from companies and then just tweaking them to fit in a malware / phishing link (If you hover over the link you should see something strang in the address (e.g optuss.com.au.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

JaneLiv

Thanks Peter - yes they are getting better - I can usually work it out quickly by right clicking the email address.  However, this one did have me guessing!!

kiwi32

I am getting the same scam emails with the same wording below stating I have forgotten to pay my bill.

I first check as the amount is wrong so is the due date.

The email looks very convincing but I am not fooled as I bpay straight away and plus I sometimes pay my bill in advance.

But this is the second time received a scam email.

Optus customer beware of this scam .

Wesley-J

Thanks for the messages @JaneLiv & @kiwi32. You're absolutely correct, this is a known phishing scam that has been targeting Optus customers for a long time now, we've blocked and removed numerous sites/emails but they'll end up creating something different. Be extra cautious and whenever you're in doubt, give us a shout Smiley Happy Wes

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Fidi

Scam email?

Billing code 3061

Ref 81111792000143

address mahoganyusa

Bill doesn’t seem to stack up.

petergdownload

The billing code appear legit. 

To confirm just log onto your MyAccount and ask to download your latest bill there.

Its possible the details will all be correct but some links in a scam email will send you to fake portals.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Fidi

Thanks Richard. Latest real bill is different and scam email goes  to Optus Zoo site. Will ignore.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
17 Kudos
7 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos