Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor kevin89
New Contributor

Roaming charges - Dubai

Hi

I’ve tried to find a phone number to call to raise an issue with my billing, but it seems like this is the best medium to do so.

I recently embarked on a trip to Dubai and had my phone on for one night (I had a local sim for all other nights). The night I had my phone on was the 17th of November. I received text messages when I landed back in Sydney (dated 20th November) about usage above my limit for roaming charges in excess of $700. I didn’t chase it up then, but looked at November’s bill (which covered the period of that first night) to check if it was the case. I was pleased to note that no roaming charges had been incurred, and my travel pack was instead charged ($10).

I was shocked however to then come back from a holiday to see that December’s billing had my roaming charges from November included. I realised then that the travel pack didn’t cover my roaming charges due to Dubai being Zone 2 (which is ridiculous really considering Dubai being a major tourist destination, AND a connecting city to Europe, and other parts of the world). However, in looking into the bill, I realised that the first charge was made just after I landed for about $100, and the rest ($500+) were incurred when I was asleep.

I find this unacceptable as:

1. I was not notified at that point in time or even during that night that I was being incurred data roaming charges, and

2. The data charges occurred when I wasn’t even using my phone. With all my apps having push refreshing turned on, nothing should have been updated during that point in time.

3. The billing periods are not synced, with usage within November’s billing period, now included in December’s statement

I refuse to pay for these charges as I have not actually used them, and was not appropriately notified about them. This is affecting my decision making process as I am currently looking to upgrade my plan from a sim only plan to a phone + sim plan, and will take my business elsewhere if this isn’t rectified and waived immediately. Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roaming charges - Dubai

Yes it's a good medium for asking question about everything except accounts. Your best option for account related issues would be the live chat support on the link below or the live chat tab in the Optus mobile app.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

Data Packs are the result of negotiations between local and overseas Telcos. Its possible Dubai has no interest in providing cheap reciprical calls. FWIW Telstra place the United Emirates in Zone 2 as well.

As far as I know there's no requirement for a Telco to notify you of roaming charges. Most (and Optus) do try with SMS etc. as you've found on returning. These can be delayed or depending what you enable/disable no get through. Its generally the phone owners responsibility to manage roaming. 

While you may not have been using your phone directly they do tend to have a mind of their own. 600Mb isn't a lot these days (although still hard to accidentally burn through I agree). The Telcos have a lot of faith in the robustness of the data tracking and I haven't heard of many (any?) cases where they agree the data wasn't sent/recieved. If you have an android phone what does its usage history say happened on these days? 

I'm not sure what you mean about the 'billing periods are not synced'. Perhaps there was some delay in getting the billing information for Dubai? Your bills seem to split during your trip? That and time zones and roaming etc. might shuffle around dates a bit.

But unfortunately here isn't the place to sort this (being a public forum). Phones and LIVECHAT seem to be suffering delays but you'll need to contact Optus billing direct to try sort something out.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I don't think the charges can be waived, due to being owed to a company in Dubai. This is what iphones do to you, if you don't take your SIM out.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors