cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Kemence
New Contributor

Refund due to unrelyable NBN service

Can we ask for a reduction in our bills if the NBN is dropping out excessivly every day? If so who should tis request be directed to?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Refund due to unrelyable NBN service

The ACCC has recently said that this should definitely be the case. Optus are offering the service and making the promises (and taking your money). It is not ok to just blame "the network" anymore.

In a practical sense, you may not get the option for a price reduction (Optus just aren't set up to do that yet). You can probably get the option to finalise your contract (at no penalty) and move to another NBN provider if you want. The NBN makes for changing to any provider being fairly painless (like switching gas companies now).

You should probably right to the main Optus Complaints address stating you would like reduction $X or failing that to finish your contract up due to non performance. See where it goes from there (you can also just call and ask but that can also be a bit hit on miss depending on who answers.) Just remain firm and polite and as I say, Optus are aware of some households getting bad performance and are generally letting them go unimpeeded.

FWIW Drop Outs may be due to your modem? As a test try disabling WIFI for a bit and seeing if the situation improves.

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Kremence, it might be a good idea to discuss your options with our retention team → 1300555241. Generally you're in a better position to discuss your options if you've reported speed or drop issues to us in the past. Had we ever raised a fault ticket for you? 

If we've determined congestion to be the root cause of your issue then we'll gladly discuss options with you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor fliegu
Occasional Contributor

Has Optus announced what refunds / remediation it will offer for poor NBN speeds, Ping times etc we have been saddled on this "super fast" system?

My NBN download is as fast as my previous cable connection and with a slower ping - am paying more for the same (actually slightly worse) service...

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can't compare the two that way (although obviously everyone does). The NBN Optus product is a completely new product. Its costs, speeds and pings claims are all part of a brand new contract. Optus aren't required to better an existing setup, only provide what they say they will this time around.

It sounds like your performance is in the ball park. Advertising generally only refers to through put speed so things like PING aren't really covered (i.e. you get what you get). If you feel Optus aren't providing the speeds you expect (Optus lists likely ranges here) then you could ask to leave the contract if Optus can't provide better.

As a general statement, no Telco has released a refund protocol for not hitting its claimed performance. Most likely it will translate into ad hoc offerings if the issue is a one off or ending contracts painlessly if it continues.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor fliegu
Occasional Contributor

The main issues are:

-No other option was offered at my new property (I could only connect with NBN so I had to pay more for essentially worse connection than I previously had)

-Having FTTH is meant to provide faster speeds - patently untrue

-Optus publicly states that customers will be reimbursed for poor connection speeds, then hides and does nothing

People have lost massive confidence in the telcos for behaviours such as this. Problem is they are essentially one cartel!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Actually, the NBN provides much more choice than you had before. If you wanted cable broadband then you had two (Telstra or Optus). The NBN means that to access high speed broadband you are now free to choose any provider and any plan. I tend to recommend you choose a provider that offers true month to month plans (if you don't like the service you can make a quick call and bang your transfered to another ISP. 

FTTH was initially designed to roughly match HFC cable network (i.e. ~100Mbps). Its speed benefits would obviously been most appreciated by the 3/4 of the country stuck on 12Mbps and slower. FTTH is already capable of 1000Mbps and is likely to be upgraded to 10000Mbps over the next decade. As all the ISPs say, many factors go into what speed you get to your home. That said, a simple speedtest to a Oz server should generally should 100Mbps reported.

From everything you've said, you don't appear to be getting "poor" connection speeds? Anything in the range of 60-100Mbps would be considered acceptable. Optus do often recredit monthly fees or provide an ongoing discount for more pronounced issues but you would not appear to qualify.

I agree that Telcos have been slow to move with the NBN rolling out. It appears the biggest ones are steadfastly applying old business practices (when they owned the hardware). The approach has been to try lock in as many customers as possible to contracts while not focussing on providing a good customer experience. Being able to just blame the NBN for their business decisions has been a handy excuse.

IMO, if you're not happy with your provider, look to leave and find one you are happy with.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors