Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Receiving bills for someone else's account

For a few months I've been receiving bills for someone else's Optus account.

I tried informing Optus about this through their live chat, but they told me they couldn't help me without my personal details. I don't have an Optus account and have no intention of divulging personal information without a good explanation of why they need it.

I've looked for similar questions on Yes Crowd, and the advice I found is to call them and explain, but being in the UK, I'd rather not be paying for international calls either.

This ought to be a simple thing to fix - my email address is connected to someone's account in a database somewhere and I'd like it to be removed. Any advice on what I ought to try next?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Receiving bills for someone else's account

This sounds like a serious breach of the Privacy Act to me. Obviously they have breached someone else's privacy, rather than yours. But if it is happening to someone else, it could be happening to you. I would suggest contacting both the Australian Privacy Commissioner and the customer whose bills you are receiving, if possible. This happened to me as well, I received another customers details through my account. I found who they were and sent them copies of the information I had received. They were most happy and my understanding is they were planning to take legal action.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Receiving bills for someone else's account

Hi PhilipC,

Thank you for trying to bring this to Optus' attention.

If you don't mind, please PM me the e-mail address that is receiving these bill notifications and I'll try to have someone put a stop to you receiving them.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors