Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Phone Returned, still send me debt collection letters

"Just a minute ma'am, I'll make a call down to the warehouse and see If I can find someone to look out back for your phone."

You really wouldn't credit this is a company with a $10 billion turnover each year. 

Core billing issues and support have largely been outsourced to social media platforms. 

Basic requests such as for return satchels require multiple 

@DC12345601e5  unfortunately its highly likely nothing can stop you being billed for the phone shortly. The next stages will involve getting that recredited. Your only channel of communication appears to be the Optus App. Give it a go. If as likely you don't have the parcel details then that shouldn't matter. Optus provide the method of return and they should have all details. 

If it doesn't look like being sorted then yes, get the TIO involved. Its not onerous and they'll send the please explains to Optus and handle everything on your behalf. It will just take a few more months before being settled. 

0 Kudos
DC12345601e5
New Contributor
New Contributor

"Just a minute ma'am, I'll make a call down to the warehouse and see If I can find someone to look out back for your phone."

You pretty much nailed it with above. I asked them where the warehouse was so I could confirm the delivery address and they then said they didnt know, the constant dealing with social media employees is extremely frustrating, I even went in store and they advised they couldnt help.

Thank you for your response, I'll give the app one more try then lodge a complaint. Do you know if I am liable to pay the direct debit while they sort this mess out? I really want to cancel it to force them to get someone to contact me but also dont want to have a mark on my credit history.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@DC12345601e5 

Legally once you've flagged a disputed payment then Optus should freeze the amounts in question and do a review etc. In practice this is probably a dangerous approach to take.

Optus will likely still automatically attempt to deduct the amounts, they'll issue non payment fees and after a few months move the debt to a collection agency and mark your official credit rating with a default. They'll do all this while you are repeatedly getting back in contact (or trying to) and being apologised to and told you everything is now fixed. 

Ultimately it can all be sorted out but if you can afford it leave the payment systems in place. Its a LOT simpler to get the TIO to require a refund then it is to clean up all that billing mess.

Its nothing personal, just that Computers Don't Argue  (Do have a read of this short story just click next down the bottom and read column by column (as originally published)) 

0 Kudos
DC12345601e5
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for all your help, you should really work for Optus, it would be a big improvement.

Cheers,
David

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Funny. In some threads posters are adamant I do work for Optus 😀

Good luck (it may all be sorted out in the next few days fingers crossed).

Note: I added a fun short story link above in an edit if you missed it.