Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
LisaReid
New Contributor
New Contributor

Phone Returned, still send me debt collection letters

I've ended my contract due to reception issue around end of November 2017 and promised no fees will be charged. The phone was initially signed up because the sales person in the store said the reception was all OK. However, when I rang up Optus to query about the slow connection, I was told my area doesn't have much coverage.....

I was then promised no fees charged provided the phone is returned. Then I waited for 3 weeks (after one phone call to optus each week, they all promised return satchel had been sent...) for the return satchel to arrive.  Finally when it arrived one week before Christmas, I rushed to the post office to have the phone returned. I was told it will take 2 weeks to process the return.

I thought they would processed the return...however to my surprise, I again received a bill for the phone this month!! 4 weeks after the phone was returned. I rang them up and was told they received it! Why don't they take the charge off if received???? Why make me call again to ask??? The operator said she will take the charge off and I thought it was all good from then until I received a letter from debt collection agency. How did this happened is beyond me. I've did everything possible to prevent this from happenning and it still happened. 

Before that, I have requested that to be able to deliver the mobile to an Optus shop which was denied, I have tried my best to return the phone but Optus won't accept any other method of return other than the satchel.

This is really frustrating and unacceptable. I can't believe how much one has to actually went through to have the phone returned and charges cancelled. Can anyone advise where I could take this further?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Phone Returned, still send me debt collection letters

Hi @LisaReid

At this stage take the time to write a official complaint. Detail what occurred and what you expect to happen (basically the outstanding "debt" removed.

Optus should officially log it and provide a definite answer (good or bad)

If bad move on to the TIO and see if they can resolve the issue.

Also, if debt collectors are involved, check you credit rating (through the once a year free options, not the 1000's of scammers that offer to give it to you for a fee.)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @LisaReid, it's awful to hear of the run around caused here and I would love to help. I just need to confirm the IMEI has been processed through our warehouse, I can then waive all fees and pull the account from debt collectors. Please send me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB. You can leave it with me and I'll get back to you asap.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
jjunh
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @LisaReid,

I am in the exact same situation now - not allowed to return the mobile broadband modem to the shop, so returned it using the provided satchel to the warehouse nearly 2 months ago, spoke to them several times and still keep getting the bills/comms for the late payment as they say it hasn't arrived at the warehouse yet, which is highly frustrating.

Would you mind sharing how you got this issue sorted out, please? Thank you in advance.

Rgds, Jae 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Jae,

Sorry to here you've been caught in this trap too. Unfortunately Lisa's issue was fixed by a moderator able to intervene and sort things out behind the scenes. That was 2 years ago. Now this forum can only read and offer general advice (so your answer lies elsewhere). In your situation there are always records to trace and you just need Optus to do that. I would suggest you just formalise the process and it should get resolved (it will just take longer than a quick LIVECHAT)

1. WRITE a simple statement with the facts you know (dates, serial numbers, etc.) and say you need the matter chased up.

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

2. This gets you and official complaint number and hopefully some action 

3. You should get a response within a few weeks. 

4. If not (or its no good) then move the complaint to the TIO who will work to resolve the issue for you (most likely Optus agree to just finalise the account)

0 Kudos
Aron_YC

Hi @jjunh

If you've sent this back in the satchel we can reach out to the warehouse directly for you. We'll just need you to send us a message on either Facebook or Twitter so we can grab your account details.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
DC12345601e5
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have this exact same problem except the warehouse are saying they don't have the phone I returned even though I have auspost proof of delivery. I also can't seem to contact anyone who can help me, they all just keep saying to wait even though its been a month. The full cost of my phone is due to come out this week and Optus aren't helping. Do I need to go through the ombudsman to get someone with some authority to respond to me and take my problem seriously?
0 Kudos
Serena_YC

Hi @DC12345601e5

Thanks for taking the time to raise this with us here. 

As we are unable to look into account details on this platform, would you be able to get in touch with our Social Media team by sending a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page? Our teams can then confirm your details and provide further assistance from there. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

DC12345601e5
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Serena, thanks for responding so quickly. I don't have either Facebook or Twitter. Do Optus have instagram? Also I'm trying to get someone in charge not just the call centre that will call the warehouse for me. Ideally I'd like an email address I can send proof of delivery to. I'm honestly at my wits end, I too had the problem of multiple requests for a return satchel and this whole saga has been going on since early November.
0 Kudos
Serena_YC

We are on Instagram as well, however our Social Media team can only discuss and look into account information  via the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page.

If you do not have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can also reach our teams by messaging us via the My Optus app. You will also be able to send attachments of the proof of delivery to our teams via the app.