Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor fmlopt
New Contributor

Panthera Company - chasing a fully paid up Debt with a trumped up account charge

The tenants in my home were harassed by debt collectors looking for me. 

Apparently it is because of a so called unpaid optus debt which mysteriously occurred under my old TERMINATED account. 

Around 410 dollars.  Not thousands - heck even my mortgage was repaid fully with no problems. 

That is an old couple you are harassing over a non-existent debt using a dodgy company named Panthera.

Shame on you Optus. 

I recalled paying up my bill and contract termination because I went on your prepaid scheme, as a loyal customer who didn't want any more contracts. I still have my recharge receipts - faithfully paid every month after I switched to prepaid. 

Given that this non-existent debt is also statue-barred, you and that dodgy company  have no right to come and squeeze any cent  out of me. EVEN MORE SO WHEN I DO NOT OWE YOU ANYTHING.

Good luck, I am overseas. 

Bother the old couple again and I will complain to ASIC, ACCC , VCAT,  and any ombudsman I can think of. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Panthera Company - chasing a fully paid up Debt with a trumped up account charge

Panthera have likely bought the debt from Optus. In which case Optus no longer have any stake in whether you pay or don't pay.

I'm not sure why you mention a pre-paid scheme as by definition you can't accrue debt with pre-paid (having pre-paid) 

If you believe the debt is statute barred (i.e. older than 6 years) then a call to Panthera to explain this should be enough to stop any further enquiries.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor fmlopt
New Contributor

Re: Panthera Company - chasing a fully paid up Debt with a trumped up account charge

There was never a debt (bill) to repay because I paid my FINAL bill in full.

They told me in the Optus shop that everything was ok, no owed money and they confirmed termination of the contract. In return, I got my prepaid there. 

There were no defaults on my credit record. Last checked 2013. That account was in 2011. 

How did Optus invent a debt out of thin air to sell it? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Thanks for raising your concerns on the forum and I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

In order to seek a resolution, we'll need to check your account notes to see how this has transpired. From here we can withdraw the debt if required.

Feel free to send me a private message with the below information and I will follow up asap.

Full Name:
DOB:
Account Number:
Are You The Primary Account Holder: Yes/No

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It sounds like you've done the right thing. Any debt collector is legally required to have specific details of exactly how and when the debt was invitedi. It's not enough to just say you owe this much.

It's take Toomey up on his offer to try check the specifics and then you can perhaps get it withdrawn of an error has been made. You probably know that a credit check is free once a year, so perhaps request one again now.

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors