Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor Optusno1
Occasional Contributor

Non-direct debit fee

I have complained to Optus a number of times about the non-direct debit fee. I have regularly requested a manager call me to no avail. I was promised I would have a return call within 2 hours. It is now one month. Did you know that if you go to an Optus store and pay cash for your account you will still be charged this fee? I am told it is for administration.  I was also told it wasa bank fee. When I contacted my bank I was advised this was not true. I do not want to give Optus my bank details as I feel like they are blackmailing customers. What about people who do not have direct debit and prefer to pay cash? They are penalised. I have reported this to the ACCC and will take it further. Optus you do not train your staff properly as they all have given different answers and repeat that I need to go direct debit to not incur the fee. I pay by Bill Pay and always pay on time. Optus you are a disgrace with customer service!  Has anyone been treated similarly? 

To those whoe read this post it on your facebook, write to your local newspaper, call the Checkout, A Current Affair. This is not fair to people who can least afford it. I would rather give the $26 a year to charity instead of the thieves at Optus. People power! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Non-direct debit fee

Strangely they charge this fee on landlines, not mobile.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Each consultant has told me something different. They can't give me a straight answer. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Really sorry to hear that this has been your experience @Optusno1 😞 Certainly not one we want you to have. If you’d like to chat to us right now, you can chat with our Live Chat team here: http://yesopt.us/chat2us 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I don't want to go live chat as I am frustrated at telling this story many times and repeating myself. It is disappointing that no rep has bothered to contact me as promised. It is so frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Dear Moderator, 

You have just advised me what I already know. That I need to go direct debit if I want to avoid the $2.20 non direct debit fee. 

I just want answers as to why I am required to pay this fee when I pay cash at an Optus Store & Bpay through my account.  No one can give me a direct answer as I do not want to provide you with my bank account details. You are penalising the most vulnerable people who may not have access to a direct debit acoount- pensioners, seniors, people with a disability. I do not understand why you charge a fee for paying cash.  The other complaint is that I was promised that I would receive a call from a manager and have been waiting for over a month. This is not service! It is a disgrace.  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Mars22
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I've had some issues with the Optus non direct debit fees and found the online help people to be no help. If you need an email to contact someone at Optus who can actually help try:
*. they are various management people.

Good luck!

**edit, email addresses of any of our employees are not to be provided via this platform.

0 Kudos
New Contributor DVmoderated
New Contributor

I've been on hold 6 times at an average of 40min to 1hr to discuss Non Direct Debit fee, each time I end up being cut off.

I love how Optus charge for not paying on time or also paying on time.

I'm just going to submit a complaint to the Ombardsman Victoria. refer following link. https://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/Complaints/Make-a-Complaint

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The main thing is that their landline/NBN is $2 more than they advertize

0 Kudos
Top Contributors