cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile Plan Closed but still incurring a monthly bill

About a month before my plan was about to expire my phone started mucking up so I went into the Optus Shop trying to get an upgrade and was told by a staff member to wait till the plan expired. So I went back in after a month and waited so long to be helped, my nan who was with me got irate and said to me lets go and she took me to Telstra where I purchased a new plan and phone.

I rang Optus to complain and close the account, and even that was like a mission impossible. I was not sure if the lady could understand me or not so I decided to make my mum a nominee so she could speak on my behalf, but when my mum rang to try and close the account the lady said that my mum was not authorised so my mum told the lady that I would be home from work by 5 and the lady said that she would ring back to confirm with me by 7 but she never called back and so because of that and I wasn't using the broken Optus phone I thought that she must have gone ahead and closed the account but now I find in my outlook account (which I rarely use now as I have a gmail account) a bill for over $500 which not only am I unwilling to pay but that I cannot afford to pay.

I do not understand why it is so hard to get good customer service from Optus and why it is so hard to close an account that along with a phone that was turning off its sound and getting all sorts of gliches was next to impossible to get updated. I don't want anything from Optus ever again and I do not want to pay for a service that I tried to close, and did not use or require.

Please can anyone tell me how to fix this, I have already spent way too much time on this and my mum has too, she said to go to an ombudsman and get advice. Is there a phone ombudsman?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Mobile Plan Closed but still incurring a monthly bill

Hi @Ronin21, I'm sorry you've had trouble getting a hand with this. It's possible to upgrade or cancel whilst in contract, an upgrade or early cancellation fee would apply though. Regarding the experience with your Mum, we can only speak to authorised parties, which is why they couldn't assist her at that point. It's disappointing the Team Member didn't give you a follow up call as promised, it wouldn't have been possible for them to cancel the service without your request though. It's also worth mentioning that your phone would have been covered by a warranty, so It's possible the fault you mentioned could have been resolved. 

Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number and DOB. I'll check into this a bit further to see what I can do

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors