Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor KramC
New Contributor

MIASPHERE SCAM -

Hi Team,

I have received my latest Optus Bill and as always am happy to pay the monthly bill before it falls due.

However upon reviewing the bill I have noticed a charge of $18.39 from to Content Providers -MIA Sphere Live and Digital Turbine - both of which I have never subscribed to. I called Optus customer service today and was advised that they can only block both content providers from today so no further charges can be applied however I need to follow up the Content Providers and get them to reverse the charges. From what I have seen on the internet these companies are a scam and you can not get a hold of them. Seems to me a very easy way for them to earn almost $20 and to pass this on to Optus to charge it.

I do appreciate that these services will be blocked HOWEVER to be told that I need to follow up the charge IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. I haven’t subscribed to either of these scams and I WOULD LIKE OPTUS to reverse the $18.39.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor bm73
Contributor

Re: MIASPHERE SCAM -

Whether you search Google or even this forum you'll see Mia Sphere is a scam which Optus is a partner in.  Telstra use to do it too but they've pulled back.   Optus makes millions in commissions and most people want chase up the costs.

Just log onto the TIO website and make a complaint against Optus.  In order to get that bad statistic deleted of the TIO records they'll quickly refund your money. 

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Search the forum on the topic. Posts (and solutions) abound.

Optus should definitely be held in contempt for perpetuating this SMS relic, especially considering they benefit financially from the proceeds. Optus are also resonsible for refuting the charges on request. However it seems only half the staff will do this off the bat. Call back (or livechat) again and request Optus refute the charges. The scam works because the scammers are happy just taking money from those that don't notice or don't bother. 

Optus should re-credit the amounts on your next bill

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @KramC,

Our forum is flooded with these sorts of enquiries. I've linked a thread for you https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/MIA-Sphere-Live-mobigames-2-subscription/m-p/344955/highligh....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor JeffHS
New Contributor

I have spent days trying to block or get refunds from various contents services that none of our family of 6 have ever subcribed to nor recieved any messages or other services from. I have tried to use Optus online guidance in replying to service numbers provided in my bills yet many go unanswered or refer to another number which result in the same outcome. I have tried complaining online via the myZoomobile function but every effort is thwarted by the site not accepting any of the 3 methods of contact suggested essentially further stifling ones abillity to seek a refund or complain. I have spent hours on the phone to Optus trying to get through to a real person whom can take charge of my complaints and resolve the fraudulent charges being billed to me by Optus.

I have no legal contract with anyone else except Optus in regards to the mobiles I own and have never agreed or signed up to any of the services Optus is billing me for. I fear that the "apparent" blocks to accessing Optus directly on this matter are an attempt to hide a massive problem which is impacting 10's of thousands, if not millions, of Australians. I like most never thought that 3rd parties could bill us freely without any proof of service to Optus who charge us without out regard to the fact that these appear massive scams by unsavoury elements in taking small regular payments from so many innocent people; who have no defence against tbis other than relying on their service provider. Surely Optus needs to be held accountable for enabling these scams to continue as the banking community would be in their "know you customer' obligations under AML legislation rather what appears to be a free for all for content provider scammers to run riot over mobile phone customers. I assume and hope that Optus will make contact with me to resolve this otherwise there is little choice but to go through the TIO, ACCC, fraud squad or a potential class action by all affected Optus clients. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It is annoying that Optus have not been transparent in its policy to deal with these scams. They have finally announced they will no longer be passing on charges for almost all premium SMS schemes as of next week. 

Optus have a dubious symbiotic relationship with these scammers and I'd wager 90%+ of all premium SMS charges are bogus these days. I can only assume that Optus has been happy to let inaction be the order of the day. Leaving aside the many many customers affected by this I feel sorry for the many customer service people left with conflicting information and no doubt bearing the brunt of a lot of anger - not something Optus management can be proud of.

FWIW getting a refund is not too hard when you know the path (same with everything I suppose). Send STOP to the phoine numbers. Try LIVECHAT (or the phone again). Request Optus set your limit to $0 and request they dispute the charges. It used to be about 50% would say they can't but hopefully now all are aware they can.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors