Searching...
Accepted Solution

MIA Sphere scam

donzie

I too have been hit with a charge from this 3rd party (MIA Sphere Live $14.90 & Digital Turbine $0.25). What is being done about these charges?

Re: MIA Sphere scam

petergdownload

This may have happened only to you, but hopefully others have had the issue and found a solution.

Try the SEARCH option.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

heyhoris

I did the online chat to find out what was happenening as I got charged for MIA sphere live last month. I asked them to block this from my account last month as soon as I found out I was charged. I was reassured that the content was blocked and I would no longer get charged with this subscription I supposedly signed up for.

Turns out they were wrong and the content wasn' blocked and I have been charged again this month. I spoke with someone to explain what happened. I was then told I need to be careful about what I'm signing up to and who I'm messaging as I've also been getting charged for sending a sms to an overseas number 777719900010. So far the problem has not been resolved. Im lucky to be on prepaid so I can switch to a different provider.

Solution

petergdownload

So have you searched? (box to the top right) There are hundreds of posts, many with the steps needed to resolve this.

Presumably your Premium SMS has now been set to $0, however this block only applies to new subscriptions. The one you are on currently must still run its course. You should send STOP to the neumber involved. Unfortunately all this does is get you set the remaining months of the subscription in one go (i.e. fees) but at least you can then make one call to Optus, request the fees be refuted and Optus will look to recredit your account in a few days.

The SMS OUT seems strange. Usually you get send an SMS. This number seems well known.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Bentspice

Why are Optus not doing anything about the MIA Sphere scam. I asume that they are also making large sums of money from it as well. This has been running and complained about for over a year, and still no action.

I got stung by it recently by clicking on a view next image button in a Facebook 'suggested' post.

Optus were good about it and have said they will refund it on my next bill. (will advise if this happens or not)

But there must be thousands of people who are getting scammed and dont know about it, particularly prepaid customers.

If Optus thinks it is OK to allow scammers to use scam Facebook pages to rob their customers then I hope they are also willing to allow me to wage a Facebook education program alerting the world to the fact that Optus is complicit in the scamming of thousands of its customers. They know it is happening and refuse to take action. Maybe a large amout of bad publicity may help their decision making process.

God forbid that I have to return to Telstra to make my point

Highlighted

Tano

Hey @Bentspice, we are proactive and taking steps to block certain third-party content providers from being billed on Optus service, and you can read more about that here

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
16 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos