cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Living overseas and No app access

Hi!

I live in the UK but come back to Australia regularly. I have an Optus sim for when I come home which I leave at my family's house. I've just received an email saying someone has requested that my service be cancelled but this was not me and I don't think that's correct. Because of Covid-19, I'm not able to come home any time soon but without my sim, I'm not able to call them for free and the My Account system doesn't seem to recognise my details so I cant contact Optus through their app messaging service. I'm also not prepared to call them on my UK number as that would cost the earth!

With no means of contacting Optus because they don't offer customer service via email or a free phone number, how can I contact them to say I don't want my service cancelled?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Living overseas and No app access

There are frequent scam emails targeting Optus so its most likely a scam. Can you post the email here (minus any personal details) so that we can take a look.

As for contacting Optus your best bet would be via Facebook or Twitter private messaging.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your help! It looks pretty legit to me... sent from 'Optus Team' hidden

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 14.01.13.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@claireratican wrote:

Thanks for your help! It looks pretty legit to me... sent from 'Optus Team' hidden

Does seem legit.

sent from 'Optus Team'

Unfortunately you can't trust who its sent from in emails/SMS's/phone calls as they are all easily and routinely spoofed (i.e. faked).

The other problem is that some scammers have access to a lot of personal information and they use that info to make them look more convincing.

Can you please copy/paste the all the text starting from "If you didn't..." to the end of the message so that I can analyse all the links and see if they are all real or not.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

My best guess is that this is from optus; including your name in their email is a very good indicator here. By the way, the only reliable way to be completely certain is to look at the hidden email headers in the envelope. Easy to obtain in Outlook > Properties or in gmail, but hard to read if you are not an email nerd.

What does the clickable link "contact us here" lead to, in the "If you didn't" part?

If that also goes to a genuine optus address (check carefully), then

* the email will be genuine

* you need to contact them, either via the link, or as YetAnother says,  via Facebook or Twitter private messaging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @claireratican, this is not a scam email. Customers receive this email if they have a prepaid service with us and have not recharged for a long period of time which will result in the service been automatically cancelled. 

We don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. Since you are overseas and don`t have access to the Optus app you are best to contact us via social media by sending a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details to get the service reactivated and for further assistance. Would also recommend to change your Prepaid plan to → Long Expiry offer so that you have 186 days validity for $30 or above recharge. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Kartika wrote:

Customers receive this email if they have a prepaid service with us and have not recharged for a long period of time which will result in the service been automatically cancelled. 

This email is very deceptive as it states that the customer initiated the cancellation which is clearly not the case. The message content is not acceptable at all, especially in this day and age where there are so many scam emails targeting Optus customers.

This was a system initiated action and the message should not only make that clear, but should give details as to why it was generated,

@Optus Please don't just dismiss this feedback.

Optus seriously needs to review ALL messages that they send as there are far to many badly written, and even unnecessary, ones.

Top Contributors