Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
SAVALOY
New Contributor
New Contributor

Jamster scam

Just got a text telling me i have subscribed to a jamster gaming service (i didn't) which will cost $5 sign up fee and $10 mth. I have called the 1800 number to talk but only got a computer prompt of how to cancel my subscription. Which I have done within 20 mins of being alerted. 

Having read other posts about this scam how do I not get billed by Optua for this third party service.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Jamster scam

If you've read other posts you should have an idea of how to proceed.

1) Never call the numbers (you probably got signied up to 2 more services in the process)

2) Always just reply STOP to the SMS number (You'll probably get confirmation and be told yous still have to pay for the remaining x weeks of subscruption

3) Its a scam

4) Call or Live chat Optus and they should be able to find and reverse the entries on your bill.

5) Ask Optus to set your Monthly Premium SMS Limit to $0  to prevent further issues

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Miles_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

So sorry to hear that you've received these charges, @SAVALOY. I'd be more than happy to take a look at your service to see what's going on. Could you please PM us here with your account number, full name and DOB so that we can investigate? Miles

0 Kudos
TheWonderRabbit
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@petergdownload Actually, calling a 1800 number shouldn't opt you in to any additional services - contacting the content provider is actually the correct process in the first instance.

The rest of your post is accurate though.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I take you point, but I'd disagree WR. 

These organisations are soley constructed to fleece money off individuals. Calling them is as useful as calling someone who broke into your house yesterday and asking for help to find your stuff. They work under the cover of a legitmate service so they have to have contact numbers etc. but they've no interest in actually helping you. Navigating through the inevitable "Push 1 for..." can get you accidentally signing up for more. 

Optus reverses the charges, but they can only do this because these companies let them. They know plenty of people will just swallow the fees so no point in hitting someone who might see their lucrative scam shut down or regulated or disabled buy Optus by default (as it should be)

So I do suggest people skip the IMO useless and possibly dangerous step of contacting the company and instead get the issue sorted by Optus directly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors