Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is this a scam by Optus???

[Long story ahead, complaint letter] 

The more I think about it, the more I feel being deceived and scammed by Optus after signing up a contract as a new Optus customer from TPG. 

The story started in August 2017 when I signed up to Optus Sport Trial and was sent an email regarding an online exclusive deal of 25% off $30 SIM Only Plan ($25 promo) with 3GB data with Optus Sport included for free. I immediately signed up after seeing such a great deal and was sent the SIM card few weeks later. A deal too good to be true, however, was the beginning of a long gruelling process dealing with Optus representatives for the following 5 months. Upon receiving the new SIM, I tried to activate the card but was told there were issues with the porting from TPG because it was under a different account holder (my dad). While I called TPG to transfer account ownership, they said it would not be a problem as I only needed to provide my dad's date of birth, which I did with Optus afterwards. But the porting still didn't go through after 3 failed attempts (each time having a 1.5+ hours telephone conversation). I called the 4th time on 27th November 2017 upon my return to port my number again. After 2 hours talking on the phone, I was finally promised that everything was taken care of and my number would be ported after 48 hours, also I would be updated if any problem occured. As I patiently waited for 5 days, no porting was done and I was still with TPG, so I checked online and discovered that my Optus order was CANCELLED WITHOUT being NOTIFIED. Had I not checked online by myself I would not have received any info whatsoever. So logically I called Optus again to ask what happened, then they said everything was deleted and NO HISTORY of the SIM order nor conversations in the past few months existed, as if I just imagined the whole episode and hours of conversations with online and call centre agents. I could not believe I trusted Optus for "everything being taken care of"! So the question here is: Did that count as a BREACH OF CONTRACT by Optus? I signed a contract and it was unilaterally cancelled by Optus without notifying the customer. 

But the story doesn't end there. As I was totally baffled and dumbfounded by the irresponsibility Optus, I just wanted to solve the problem. On 8th December 2017, I called again to investigate the incident and they said nothing could be done because there was no history of the order. Instead, what I could do was to call the sales department and sign up to a new plan of $40 with a 25% discount and Optus Sport included for free, which I would pay $30 in total. Although it was not what I signed up for initially, I just compromised as I just wanted to get this over and done with. Two agents, namely Abdul and Jodie, promised the above deal with me over the phone and the discount and Optus Sport inclusion would not appear in the bill because they added those manually, not originally in the plan. But as I needed to go to work because I did not have all the time in the world to talk to Optus, also recalling the porting issue with a different account holder, I told the Optus agents that my dad would sign the contract for me with his details. The new contract was swiftly agreed between them when I was at work. However, as I got back from work, I looked at the contract signed and it was totally different to what was being agreed on previously. I called Abdul for clarification and he just perfunctorily said I could change to whatever I wanted after I activated the SIM, also the discounts would be applied. 

Moving on, I received my first bill and I was charged $55! First of all, no 25% discount. Secondly, Optus Sport was charged. Thirdly, there was a GST to it? Then I had to go through the whole process of online chatting, calling again for the Nth time and I was told the billing was wrong. They waived off $15 for Optus Sport but I still had to pay $40 for the first bill (which I don't even understand why I was charged before the first month was even over because it's a post-paid plan). They promised me the next bill would be $30. Guess what? I received my second bill in Jan 2018 and it was $44.99. Again, I chatted online with an Optus agent that I was told I got the 25% discount but Optus Sport was not free. What every agent told me has been contradicting so far!!! NO promises could be trusted upon and I am SO SICK of dealing with Optus every month by calling and typing for hours. I clearly remembered there was an online promotion in December of $30 for the $40 plan with Optus Sport included for free as well. Is this a scam or false advertising by Optus?? 

P.S. I requested an investigation of the telephone recording of 27 Nov to prove I wasn't insane and made up a conversation that "everything would be taken care of". As they said they would escalate the issue and I would have the results in 8 days, NO updates have been given to me after I asked twice in 2 months. Another promise not delivered. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Is this a scam by Optus???

Hey @Mssirius, thanks for taking the time to send this through. It sounds like your mobile may be provisioned on the wrong plan so the discounts aren't applying correctly. I can look into this, but only if you have third party access to your dad's account? He will need to enable a PIN for this.

If this has already been completed, send me your number, full name, dad's name and PIN in a private message. I'll check it out and follow up asap.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Mssirius

The backend systems come across as not well integrated. On top of this many plans, offers, deals etc. appear to be manually processed by people with varying skill levels. Optus routinely state the discounts will only apply from the second bill. In your case you had the added complexity of porting from another company and the account not being in your name.

All this is to say that usually its a smooth process, but when something starts to go wrong then getting it righted can be an ordeal. It doesn't help that Optus help channels seems very undermanned at the moment. IME this forum is often the only way to get some issues resolved, as the mods appear to both know all of the various systems / departments and have the authority to use them.

Your plan is not unusual (As a new customer Optus sport should definitely be free). Hopefully Toomey can correctly apply the discounts and you can get on with it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

WOW I totaly 100% feel you pain! 

Ive been given the run arounf for 3 weeks trying to move from pre-paid to post paid. 

Being told totally different things from different agens, abd even when I message the moderators on this Yes Crowd they had nothing for me! 

I honestly couldnt understand how it had become such an ordeal. Anyway finally recieve a contract after a month of battle on chats and calls. and the "free optus sport" i was promised in on there!!!!! 

Are they so painful to deal with so that people just accept they have been screwed over and just pay?

Highlighted

Hi @ JamesG0rnell - Really sorry to hear that this has been your experience. All of our new 2 year contracts have Optus sport included  for free and some of SIM only plans also have this included. Please note, your bill will show a $15 charge for sport and also a credit of same amount to offset this charge. Please  contact our billing experts Here or from My Optus App and they check this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos