Searching...

Hip tap virus?

[ Edited ]
Melanie__

I have received a message saying FreeMsg: Your subscription to Hip Tap costs $6.99/wk charged to your mobile account. Opt-out send STOP to 19789168 HELP:1800985068

I looked back and it turns out that I also received that same message 3-4 weeks ago. Does anyone know if this is a virus? I am currently travelling in Portugal and have bad wifi so I can't contact anyone to check up if I am actually being charged for this random thing. I have never clicked on anything or have never signed up for any service so I'll be really pissed off if I'm getting charged for something. 

$7 a week is a (moderated for language use) load of money for me Smiley Sad

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Re: Hip tap virus?

TheWonderRabbit

Hi @Melanie__

This isn't a virus, it sounds like Premium SMS.

Premium SMS is a service that provides premium content (ringtones, games, horoscopes, TV voting, etc), which is charged to your phone bill. You do need to 'opt-in' before you would be charged, but unfortunately not all Premium SMS providers are honest, which may be the case with you.

It looks like you would be charged $6.99 per message in this case.

Normally, the first thing to do is to reply with 'STOP', which will opt you out and stop any further messages, but as you're roaming, your best bet might be to use Live Chat. They can;

1. Opt you out and prevent any further messages
  2. Set your 'content spend' limit to $0, preventing any Premium SMS messages in future.
  3. Explan more about what this service is, and;
  4. Send a request to the Premium SMS provider and request a refund as you never requested the service.

Vicky

i@Melanie__ - Apologies about the late reply there. As @TheWonderRabbit has mentioned, it does sound like you may have been charged with some premium content services. I recommend checking out our website here → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/content-faqs-spend-control?requestType=NormalRequest&id=... for more information regarding these charge. We can place a barring on them for you - please send us a PM (http://yesopt.us/pmvicky) with your full name, DOB and service number and we can get this sorted for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Tane

I have been swindled by the same scam - lost $7. How is what they do legal? Can I arrange to have hiptap barred as well, please? 

Highlighted

Marie

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that Tane Smiley Sad

You're most welcome to PM me your details and I'd be happy to arrange a $0 spend limit on your account for this.

I can also dispute the charges with the provider for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
13 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos