Searching...
Highlighted

Help me unsubscribe from scammer

Jooneth

I was navigating through Facebook and suddenly a button appeared and I pressed it. Soon after I recieved below sms messages 

FreeMsg: Quizikoo costs $14.90 for 50 quizes. HELP:1300363847

FreeMsg: Get unlimited access to your content by entering your ID: 61405506617 and pass: 316ff6 at au.quizikoo.com. Find out the best Aussie Contents

I am worried that I will be charged for this and not even sure how to unsubscribe it. 

Can you please help me unsubscribe from this and also credit back any amount that was billed to me?

Re: Help me unsubscribe from scammer

10000000000GB

Turn off premium sms in your account under third party stuff. Or visit Optus chat.

Tano

Hey @Jooneth, these third-party content services can sometimes be subscribed to erroneously/unknowingly -- sometimes by clicking a banner or downloading an app -- and as such there are some options available to you in this instance.

Firstly we would need to set your content spend limit to $0, effectively blocking any charges from appearing on your account. Secondly we'll dispute the charges directly with the content provider to have any charges that may have been processed refunded back to you. You can read more about this process here.

Under the "How to check usage & manage spend" tab, you can find how to set your content spend to $0, while beneath "How do I dispute third party purchases?" you can find information on how to directly dispute any charges. Let us know how you go.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

"Firstly we would need to set your content spend limit to $0, effectively blocking any charges from appearing on your account."

Is this actually necessary any more @Tano. There should be an automatic block to this scams now? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

Hi @Jooneth

Good advice above. However Optus have started not accepting these scams anymore. This means if they want to bill you then they need for you to provide your direct billing details (which isn't going to happen obviously). Just send STOP to the number and you should be right. Check your next bill to confirm it hasn't been added by Optus (they can refute it if it is there).

Note that the scammers code is obviously still floating around sites like facebook which is why you'll get the SMS but not the bill.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Toomey

This only applies to certain subscription-based Third Party Content Providers, mostly the ones who have been abusing the system that we get complaints about. If an unwanted subscription is found after 31/01, we have to report it and they too can be added to the list. I've tried to find a list of banned providers but it doesn't seem to be readily available. @petergdownload I'll let you know if I can get a hold of it.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Jooneth

Thank. I checked my account now and $14.90 is already added to my medt bill. Can you refund this?

Toomey

We would need to raise a dispute with the provider. Jump into Live Chat with Mobile Billing for immediate assistance and someone will get this organised for you.

petergdownload

Thanks @Toomey.

That's a bit disapointing to hear though. The process is legally meant to be a two stage opt in process and Optus continue to require just the first stage to be verified to bill unsuspecting customers. Given the shear volume of abuse Premium SMS has I would have thought it is now incumbent on on the "providers" to confirm they have authorisation.

It would also seem childs play for Mia Sphere to diversify a bit and suddenly we're back at square one.

I'd really hoped we'd seen the last of this scam. Customers hate it. Customer Service hates it. It is only Optus management that seem to think the considerable ill will of the very people it is trying to 'service' is worth the ever diminishing return.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Looks like Optus might finally be in the firing line for this woeful part of its business model.

Currently only Telstra being taken to court but can't imaging the biggest facilitator of this scam will be let off the hook.

Sadly the penalty is capped at $10 million it seems and no doubt Optus will have easily taken in much much more than that. Although it does seem Telstra is having to refund affected customers out of its own pocket.

Who says crime doesn't pay?

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
16 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos