cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Taubrey1
New Contributor

GST charging

I am on a $100 plan, and I get charged anywhere from $10-$20 extra a month for GST. I was informed when I signed up to my plan that it would be no more than $100 a month.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: GST charging

Much to the disappointment of most Optus customers, they still seperate out the GST on their bills and make it very difficult to understand so you're not alone.

That said, if you see a plan for $100 advertised or are spoken to about a $100 plan with a rep, then that $100 is GST inclusive. If you're being charged extra, it's probably from another source like additional data or 3rd part Premium charges (that you might not be aware you signed up to). Have a look over your bill and see if you can see any additional charges as I'm fairly certain you'll find that GST isn't the cause of the problem, the layout of the bill is more then likely just hiding the problem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor Taubrey1
New Contributor

I have read through every one of my bills from the start date of my contact, it says "GST" and it varies on every bill from anywhere from $10-$20 extra a month. If this is a $100 plan that is "inclusive" of GST then why am I still being charged extra? It is not "additional charges" as they are listed on the bill also, above the GST.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sorry I probably explained that poorly.

You'll definitely see a charge for GST on every bill because you need to be charged GST just like every provider. The difference with Optus is you'll see the charge for your $100 plan is actually less $100 because on that particular line of your bill, it excludes GST. Then on the front page you'll see a charge for GST to bring the plan cost up to $100.

Funnily enough, I'm on the $100 My Plus Plan so I can look at my own bill to help. On mine I can clearly see I'm being charged $90.90 for the $100 plan in the section detailing my plan charges then on the very first page I can see the GST I've been charged to. Now the thing with the GST on the front page is it's the GST for all charges on your bill. So there's be $9.10 for your plan, if you're paying off a handset as part of your plan then there's be some GST for the handset costs, if you have Fetch, if you go over your data, any premium SMS charges etc. That's why it'd vary from $10-$20 a month.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
New Contributor Rippedoff1
New Contributor

I agree. The bills are terribly inconsistent, usually erroneous and incredibly confusing..... what could be simpler than a fixed plan of $80/month ? And yet the bills seem to vary upwards by a significant amount without any mention of the $80 plan on the bill......I recently moved homes and found myself with more than $100 of additional unexplained charges and then had the audacity of cancelling the old plan with communicating its intent, which cancelled the online billing and direct debit, and then Optus charged and additional $4 per bill for no direct debit and mailed bills , on top of 75cents for each local call

Did I forget to mention the bill seemed to deliberately overcharge and create confusion whilst attempting to hide behind 10%gst? An advertised price of $80 per month is intended to cover gst however the overcharge seems to confusingly imply $88......

its dead simple on the foxtel bills... why does Optus struggle to create the same simple bills?

pretty poor all round and difficult to imagine that it was not deliberately contrived to scam more money from the consumer

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors