Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

GOOGLE CLOUD STORAGE- EXCESSIVE DATA??

My Iphone has been using an excessive amount of data lately and on the OPTUS APP it's telling me that the highest amount of data usage is coming from Google Cloud Storage?

I haven't been doing anything different lately and I don't sync anything up to Google. I called up technical support and they said they can't help me and that I need to contact google directly.

Please help, fed up with being charged for going over on my data.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: GOOGLE CLOUD STORAGE- EXCESSIVE DATA??

Hi @Loulou963 - thanks for reaching out. Data usage shown through the My Optus App displays usage based on which servers your device receives data from, rather than the specific application. Essentially this means that any app or webpage that operates on Google Cloud servers would display as usage from Google Cloud. If you'd like some tips on how to better understand and manage your data usage, please check out our website here → Understanding Data

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately neither Apple or optus have any desire to enable their customers to manage/limit their data usage.

So its up to you to figure it out. I'd suggest starting with the Apple settings and seeing what your phone says is using the data? It should point to a specific app. I assume you've uninstalled any google drive apps? You should be resetting the iPhone data usage counter every night as you go to bed. That way you can see at anytime through the day if your usage is spiking.

Once sorted, you should reset the data usage counter to 0 each billing month and keep an eye on it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Good info on a question I had when I recently began seeing google cloud on my data usage breakdown. I’ve been trying to de-google my life as much as possible for the reason that I dont trust google with privacy or security. 

Im not a fan of Apple either but they seem more secure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not sure what you base that on? You can switch most things off in your google account to stop any data collection. Apple have much less options on what you can decide they can't have. You should set up TFA on the gmail for security.Cloud storage wise I don't think either has suffered much in the way of security breaches.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors