Searching...

Fees for no service

Palto

I signed up with optus for broadband and Fetch TV. I was supposed to be connected on the 18/4/19. When I signed up, I also asked for Optus professional installation visit, as I am not very tech savy. I agreed to be charged upfront for this service $140. My problem is that I was not connected then and no professional ever came to my house for installation. Numerous chats and phone calls, Optus service people always said that they can see that I was connected via a Netgear modem, which does not exist in my house. Finally the nbn person came on the 24/5/19 (more than a month later). He confirmed that somehow another person was using my internet via a Netgear modem and that my house had never been connected to the internet. The nbn person talked on the phone to someone at Optus to explain the situation. So now I am connected since 24/5/19. By the way, still no proffessional installer from Optus and with the help of a friend, I managed to set everything up. The Optus chat guy even said that the $140 will be waived since no one turned up. My problem is that I received a bill for the $140 installation (which is now overdue) and being charged as from 19/4/19 when someone else was using my internet. I am asking help as to what shoul I do, who to call? I already submitted 2 complaints. The messages do not seem to go through to their accounts department. I apologise for the length, I feel like I could write a horror novel about my experience with Optus. Thanks

Re: Fees for no service

petergdownload

Wow. That does sound like a stuff up. What you've written is very clear though. At this stage I would suggest

1) Pay the bill. It just makes things more invloved and $15 late fees etc. and Optus generally operate by receditting amounts anyway. So you should get it sorted over the next little bit.

2) Write to the complaints department.

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

This is dealt with more professionally IMO (the online options can be hit and miss IME) and you should get a specific response and complaint number etc. within two weeks (hopefully with the issue resolved.) Just put in what you did above andlist the specific things that you need (One month refund of Internet, $140 for no professional install and $15 against any late fee on this bill if applicable)

You should see the funds as a credit on your next bill hopefully. That said, if you have Twitter or Facebook, Optus seem to have moved their action team from this forum to those sites so you can possibly try get it dealt with then and their (I'm not sure why your livechat didn't just fix it?) Just cut and paste your post above and let them read it.

Let us know how you go.

Peter Gillespie

Palto

Thanks for your reply, i shall follow your advice. Will let you know of the outcome.

Jeneral__Pain

You can save yourself the postage and fill out the online form... www.optus.com.au/complaints

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

petergdownload

The OP has apparently done that or similar twice. I frankly don't trust the Telcos' complaints handling processes. Too many seem not responded to, or if initially picked up promises are made that then go know where and more action is needed by the customer. Instances like the ACCC requesting details of any complaints customers made about poor NBN speeds, only to be told those weren't kept. 

A letter of complaint has an enshrined legal status and there is a defined response process. It also needs to be kept on file and can be referred to if further action is needed (e.g. TIO). 

I do think Optus has gotten better at trying to handle complaints (The onlne form is a recent (and long overdue) addition. An email address would be great. However Facebook and Twitter seem to be the new go to spots (again though these new technologies are largely of the legal regulated grid)

I'd definitely suggest Facebook, Livechat, Complaints form and/or phone first as no doubt a large amount of issues do get resolve quickly and easily. But if those are not working I'd still suggest a letter is the only way to get taken seriously.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
11 Kudos
8 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos
3 Kudos