cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor mstamaria0
New Contributor

False charges

I am being wrongfully charged for something I didn’t do. On the 13th of December I went to Thailand until the 24th I had my airplane mode on and my mobile data turned off. When I came home I turned off my airplane mode and Renabled my mobile data. I received a 3 texts saying I had gone over my limit of overseas data and was going to be charged $788.15. I immediately tried to contact Optus but over the Christmas break I couldn’t get through. When I finally got onto someone on the 2nd of July they explained that they couldn’t waive the charges as they are too high and that data pings were being sent. If my mobile data is off and airplane mode is on how can I have possibly used my data. I am being charged incorrectly and I refuse to pay a cent. 

Please how can I fix this ????

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: False charges

>>Please how can I fix this ????

Is it an Apple phone?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5962715

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hey thanks for the link but I had already turned off that problem when I got my iPhone X so it something completely different that has caused Optus to charge me wrong 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ouch. Unfortunately its more likely than not that the data was sent to your phone. All Telcos are pretty scrupulous about recording data flows which is why Optus rarely re-credit excess data amounts where people claim they didn't request the data.

That said, for that amount I'd be inclined to make an official complaint (write a letter) and then if that doesn't work go the the TIO. They may be able to negotiate a lesser amount. 

You should also ask Optus to tell you when the bulk of the data was used and hopefully what 'flavour' the data was (Netflix, Maps, etc.) What does the Optus app say about data usage over the month in question? 

I take it you used wifi everywhere? It is possible for mobile data to be used by phones even when mobile data is off.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor

When I try to view the data usages it says data unavailable which annoys me to no extent, I will have to write a letter as you say but I highly doubt they will even listen.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps a sign for hope though? If the data is a bit screwy for the app then something might have gone wrong on the Optus end. First thing IMO is try get that specific information available

Write to: 

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

Be sure to include your Full Name, Service or Account Number so we can help resolve your enquiry

They may not do anything but they should get back to you with an official complaint number in 10 days that you can then take to the TIO. Note the TIO will usually ask you to complain first yourself and only then step in.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor TNF
Occasional Contributor

Try the Telecommunications Ombudsman. I'm a new customer and have found their customer service to be terrible no one can assist with anything you get transferred and put on hold and then calls are simply not answered or hung up on. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors