Searching...

Cancelling plan as I'm moving back with my parents

Cashal

Hi guys, 

ive recently had a family breakdown and have become a single mother. As I am still on maternity leave I basically have no income so have been left with no other option but to move home to my parents place with my daughter. 

How do I go about cancelling my nbn plan as it is literally impossible for me to afford now Smiley Sad 

thanks 

Re: Cancelling plan as I'm moving back with my parents

JordanOptus

I'm sorry to hear @Cashal Smiley Sad We've definitely got avenues that can help you out. Come through our Live Chat and speak with Financial Services when you get a chance. They'll be able too look into financial hardship and can assist with cancellation. Let me know how you go.

Re: Cancelling plan as I'm moving back with my parents

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Tough turn of events @Cashal

As @JordanOptus mentioned there is provision for financial hardship. Be aware though that Optus do not appear to consider cancelling the contract as an option.

As far as I can see you will be expected to pay out the remainder of the contract. Optus will no doubt structure a repayment plan that you can agree to. There may be a halt put on payments in the near future but eventually some monthly amount will be required until the contract is paid out.

I'd hope Optus would be able to simply cancel unused future data (Its not like they're going to be out of pocket as a result) but that doesn't seem to be the approach they take - maybe the Finance Division will offer a better resolution but you should know the likely outcome going in.

Can you say what plan you are on and how many months you have to go one the contract? Also is the ownership of the account in your name? Not your partners? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NB The relevant Optus comment is:

The basic principle of any agreed financial arrangement is that the repayment should be sufficient to cover expected future use of the service (as adjusted to ensure your financial position does not worsen over a reasonable period of time) as well as providing continued reduction of debt at a reasonable level (i.e. you should not be going into further debt under the arrangement).

This is a bit ambiguous IMO, and does seem to leave space for payments to be "adjusted" to your "future use of the service" (i.e. zero). Fingers crossed.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
19 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos