cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor weissenborn
Occasional Contributor

BEWARE: Optus Billing SCAM.

Optus isn't the only one doing this .... others do EXACTLY the same thing (collusion????).

On many plans (for desktop computer, and various devices) if you  reach your monthly data allowance before the end of the billing period, Optus **AUTOMATICALLY** charges you $10 for each 1 GB of data used after that. Optus gives you ***NO*** option to opt out .... in the past they had plans where, if you reached your full data allowance, you could opt in to receive this extra data at the price of $10 for each extra 1GB used, or you could opt out, in other words it was YOUR choice.

In the past I would often be near my full data allowance with 2 or 3 days still left to run in the monthly billing cycle. And when I reached the full data allowance, access to the internet was closed by Optus until the beginning of the next billing period (it was MY choice whether or not to opt in and receive extra data at $10 per 1 GB until the beginning of that next billing cycle). I always chose to have my internet access closed until the beginning of my next billing cycle (that way I received no extra data charges).... Optus does not permit this anymore.

Here's why these AUTOMATIC extra charges of $10 per 1 GB are a legal SCAM that would provide lots of extra money to Optus ....... if you use data at any time then data updates are not provided to you until a day or two AFTER that data is used, therefore if your data allowance shows you are not over your monthly allowance within one or two days of the end of your billing cycle, that does *NOT* mean that when you checked your data usage you were under the montly limit (due to the one to two day data update delay). Therefore, you can easily be using your device/computer thinking you have some spare data left but Optus can be charging you $10 for every 1 GB of data you're using because Optus AUTOMATICALLY switches over to the new highrer charges.

So, if just 100,000 people use just 1 GB of extra data, then Optus get's 1 million dollars from just that alone. Of course many more people than that will go over their data limit during their device ownership and many of them will use more than a one off mere 1 GB of extra data.

Therefore, Optus would be making a mint simply because they deny you the choice of opting out of these AUTOMATIC inflated charges of $10 for every extra 1 GB of data you use ....  many people would be getting these extra inflated charges without fully realising it at the time of use (due to the usual  data update delay).

Other telcos do this too. They charge the SAME inflated extra data price of $10 per 1 GB. They have OBVIOUSLY colluded with each other in order to fleece their customers in this way (the telcos would say "but, but, but it's just a "coincidence" that we charge EXACTLY the same fee of $10 per extra  1 GB"  ha ha ha ha yeah sure).

Optus needs to provide the following customer option in all their plans (past, present and future) .... When a customer uses all their monthly data allowance before their monthly billing peroid ends, they should then have the "choice" of either choosing to stay on the internet at the inflated cost of  $10 per extra 1 GB, or having their internet usage stopped (thus incurring NO extra inflated charges) until the next billing period starts.

Will you do this Optus? I bet not!!! Why? Because you want to fleece those  extra $$$$$ from your customers.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: BEWARE: Optus Billing SCAM.

You're actually wrong about this. In the past, Optus charged by the MB that you went over your data allowance on mobile plans. Then they introduced the 1GB for $10 instead which was opt in and then they just made the 1Gb for $10 for everyone.

On fixed broadband services, they don't charge you extra and haven't done so for quite a while. Instead, they slow you down. 

The only time you had the option was on pre-paid. If you hit your limit, you had no credit so the service stopped. You could either then go without or recharge again which is how you had the option.

As you said, most telcos now offer extra data at the cost of 1GB per $10 but I've never seen Optus offer the option you've referred to. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm correct Sam. I've been with Optus for 11 years, I know what I'm talking about. The only thing I left out was that my comments referred to "pre paid" plans that I had in the past (going back 11 years) and currently have.

On my current pre paid plans the choice of opting out of the automatic extra charge scam is NOT available to me. It was available to me in the past ..... I would exercise that "choice"  by going without internet or applying online for an extra 1 GB for $10, then for any extra GBs I had to apply for each extra 1 GB at a time. That was a good system, which allowed customer "choice" (I almost always chose  to NOT apply for the extra data ). That choice is now denied to customers in my situation. So, people now get caught with that inflated charge of $10 for each extra 1 GB (if you go over your limit by just 1MB you still get charged the entire $10).

Many people would be close to their monthly data limit in the final few days .... all it takes is a  big Windows update and you're INSTANTLY over your data limit, and then getting  **AUTOMATICALLY** charged  the outrageous rate of $10 for up to 1 GB, and the same for every subsequent 1 GB of data use.

It's a telco SCAM.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

What pre-paid plan are you on? The only one I can see with an auto recharge feature for data is the pre-paid daily maximiser which has a limit of $4 extra per day for 1.5GB. Can you link to what you're talking about? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

"My MBB plus 10GB". All the MyMBB plans have the same terms and conditions. It's used for my desktop computer.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Right I see, so you are on a post-paid plan, not pre-paid. 

I looked at the oldest plan I could, which in fareness was from 2015 so only about 2 years ago and that was still $10 per 1GB extra. I'm quite confident that when it comes to a plan for Mobile Broadband, there's always been a fee and no way to just shut it off.

That said, you do have the option to go pre-paid (just consider costs to exit a contract early if you have one). Plans are available here but looking at it, you pay $35 for 10GB and $30 on pre-paid will only get you 4GB so probably not the best option.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Only CIS i can find is this one: 

http://cdn.optusdigital.com/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/Cis%20Documents/1417556_CIS_My_Mobile_Broadband_Plu...

My Mobile Broadband Plus 10Gb.

Has excess usage at $10 per GB

The ones before that are 1.5,2.5,4,8 & 12Gb plans (in 2015 that also have $10/Gb excess)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hi @weissenborn - Appreciate you taking the time to write this up, however I just want to clarify a few things. 

As @SamSam mentioned, we used to charge per MB of data, which was quite expensive for our customers so the decision was made to introduce the 1GB for $10 top up, automatically included in your plan, as opposed to switching our customers data off. (which i'm sure, would have also had a negative impact). 

As for the tops ups, yes, they're automatic, but most if not all smart phones come with the option to turn your data off once you've reached a limit. Realistically, this gives more power to the consumer & allowing them to decide whether they want to continue to use their services or switch it off completely. 

You're right in saying most telcos do charge $10 for 1GB. This isn't due to collusion & more so would be to do with marketing. 

There has always been a fee for excess data on a Post Paid service, this is unavoidable due to the structure of Post Paid. 
If you're not happy with the excess data charges, you can always opt for a Pre Paid plan as @SamSam suggested. 

I'm very sorry you feel this way, however please keep in mind we're simply charging our customers for what they have used. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My plan is used for my desktop computer. Up until about 2 years ago, if I reached my monthly data limit then internet access was automatically shut down. I had the "option" to accept this and wait until the next billing cycle begins in order to get internet access, or apply online for 1 GB of extra data and any extra GBs. I had that "choice".

Optus now DENIES customers that "choice". This denial would make Optus more $$$$, for reasons already explained previously. Obviously this is why Optus took away that customer "choice".

So, if a person is on a $35 per month "MyMBB 10GB" service, and they are 1 day from the end of their monthly billing cycle and have used 9GBs ........ then Microsoft automatically updates with 5GBs of data....... Optus now charges $75 for that month (the $35 fee plus $40 for 4 extra GBs).  Previously, with the customer CHOICE option available ..... I could make the "choice" of when the update took the data up to the max. 10GBs the internet access automatically shut down, and the Optus monthly fee remained the normal $35 .... then at the beginning of the new billing cycle internet access was resumed and in that first day 5GBs of the update would have been automatically downloaded and I would have adjusted my computer usage to last for the rest of the month with the remaining 5GBs ..... and the Optus fee for that month would be the normal $35.

Therefore, under the current no customer options, Optus gets $110 for those 2 months,  whereas previously when customers had a "choice" and "chose" to NOT get those  GBs of "automatic" extra data, Optus would get $70 for those 2 months. 

Optus KNOWS they can easily make more money from their customers by **NOT** providing that customer choice. That's why they took that choice away from their customers.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Except that we (as other optus customers) have not seen such a plan except for prepaid that offers this 

I linked to the CIS for this previously as above.

We used yo be charged per Megabyte of data over - dont remember data just stopping.

There was addon data packs previously and i think some may still exist.

If you dont want to go over your plan then switching to prepaid is the only way. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Top Contributors