Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: $2 Account Charges

Hi@Bitten

I understand your hesitancy to set up a direct debit given the number of threads we've seen pop up with the title MIA SPHERE but as of January 31st we are cutting ties with a number of vendors. I'd suggest having a quick read through → https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-our-Premium-Services-offering/ba-p/351928.

As for the account charge, this is something that has been in place for as far as I can remember. It’s a common practise amongst all service providers whether they're Telcos, Gas or Electricity providers. The account charges are outlined in the T's and C's in the CIS document you received upon signing up. No one enjoys paying account fees but if you do set up a direct debit as well as email invoicing, they'll no longer be charged.

I myself as an Optus employee pay the exact same charges. Am I happy about it? I wouldn't say so but I accept that it's the case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Bitten
Occasional Contributor

I would agree with you Peter but I have had 2 seperate incorrect charges within the last month from Optus. The deliberately time consuming process of rectifying this occured over several days, a lot of back and forth with many people and several scheduled and not fulfilled appointments made by Optus. Needless to say, the charges exceeded the costs of $2 per month for this plan so I see my options are, allow incorrect and unagreed upon charges applied to my account and take hours (5+ each time) to follow up with this futile system, or pay $2 a month not to have to dedicate the Optus designated amount of time and frustration. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Bitten

It seems you're refering to two seperate things?

Any fee is annoying but as others have mentioned, they're a fact of life (in this case an optional one). 

FWIW Paying by direct debit won't avoid any other charges that creep onto your account. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Bitten
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately these 2 seperate things can easily be connected when a direct debit can be made for a different sum than you monthly bill. Obviously the issue becomes even harder to rectify once the incorrect billing amount has already been withdrawn. If it is an incorrect amount I have the ability not to pay the excess. But yes, you're right, direct debit won't stop incorrect charges creeping into my account. I am still mistified as to what will......

0 Kudos
New Contributor kymdunn
New Contributor

Does that mean that if we pay with a credit card we won't be charged the $2 ?????

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Nope. only way to avoid a payment fee is to set up a direct debit. However you can set the direct debit to use your credit card I believe.

Peter Gillespie