Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor LemmingME2
New Contributor

$2 Account Charges

Just for every ones info,

They are unable to explain the $2 Account charge in this instance....

So why do they for it????

Ponzi scam

Caroline • 12:55 PM

Hi, this is Caroline from Fixed Service team, welcome to Optus LiveChat. How can I help you today?

You • 12:56 PM

Hi Caroline, i was just wondering what thje $2 Account Charges relates to on my bill please???

Caroline • 12:56 PM

I will help you with the bill clarification

Caroline • 12:57 PM

To assist you further could you please fill in the slider below

Caroline • 12:58 PM

Thanks for your details, SPARTY.

Caroline • 12:59 PM

Are you referring to mobile bill?

You • 12:59 PM

INTERNET ac no

You • 01:00 PM

117XXXXXXXX

Caroline • 01:00 PM

Thank you

Caroline • 01:01 PM

Checking upon the bill you are being charged $2.00 for non direct debit fee

You • 01:02 PM

hmm i normally BPAY......so what is the technical difference for the cost???

Caroline • 01:03 PM

I would suggest you to set up direct debit in order to avoid the charges in the bill

You • 01:04 PM

why??? is there an answer to my question???

bpay vs direct debit???

the computers do all the checking any hows

Caroline • 01:06 PM

I'll be right with you.

Caroline • 01:06 PM

A $2.20 fee will be charged each month if you choose not to pay your bill by direct debit. To set-up direct debit go to optus.com.au/myaccount Exception: For payments made by credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards, the non-direct debit fee will not apply

15 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: $2 Account Charges

I suggest you look up 'ponzi scam' Smiley Happy

There is a fee for paying bills. Optus waive this fee if you set up a direct debit. 

Direct Debits offer a number of benefits (for example they're less prone to people forgetting to pay their bill. They also can't be cancelled unilaterally by the customer)

Customer Service People don't necesarily know the rationale behind Optus business decisions (Why am I paying the same as somone on FTTP when I'm on FTTN and get half their speed?).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor LemmingME2
New Contributor

In my opinion:

Appreciate the education - call what you will

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

So those of us who dont forget are punished ???? really??

I can autopay via my bpay same thing right????

So i ask again, why the $2 account charge ???

Can you see my dilemma

Working with your analogy why do i pay $4 for a cup of coffe when i can pay $1

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I don't agree with the fee either but it's clearly stated that if you don't have direct debit set up you'll be charged it. Because they are so clear about it I don't see it as a punishment though I'm hesitant to use direct debit to. Something you need to be ok to live with if you want to be with Optus. 

I much prefer the opposite approach. Do something (we'll say use direct debit) and get 5% off your bill type approach is much better. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It definitely pops up fairly frequently as a hot button topic.

In Optus' defense, they did use to just charge a for everything I believe. They've removed some of those fees (which is a good thing?)  

I'm not sure its intended as a punishment, but more a slight incentive for people to pay the way that Optus prefer (you can easily choose to stop paying using manual methods. Its a fair bit harder to do on a direct debit plan)

But definitely protest it. IFAIK Optus have never explained or changed their direct debit policy.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam

Then I think you just got your wish Sam.

The standard Optus monthly internet bill is $82. If you sign up to a direct debit then you get $2 off your bill. Smiley Happy 

Its more a case of semantics than changing anything in practice.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You're a wise man Peter! 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Mars22
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I've had some issues with Optus and found the online help people to be no help. If you need an email to contact someone at Optus who can actually help try:
they are various management people.

Good luck!

*edit, email addresses of any of our employees are not to be provided via this platoform.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Bitten
Occasional Contributor

I am in the same boat. Charged $2 fee for paying! What a fool I am for paying bills, I certainly should be penalised for such actions!

It's all well and good when you're told to just direct debit so Optus can sneak in charges for things you didn't sign up for (MIA Sphere last month in my case). It would have been harder to detect had it been direct debt, and near impossible to rectify with Optus who don't return calls or have an email to communicate with. I had to deal with the ever improving Optus elusiveness for a ridiculous amount of time to correct their malpractrices. 

Deliberately shady practices. Optus Shonkiness level 11/10. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Bitten

It seems to be a fairly standard business practice. Have you ever tried to pay for something using a credit card? or EFTPos? You're given a free option (use cash). Similarly Optus charge about 1.5% on their services to pay. They offer a free alternative (use direct debit)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors