Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Contributor Talos63
Contributor

iPhone X order debacle

I placed an order yesterday for an iPhone X and managed to get ‘pre-order’ not ‘back order’ status. Because I am still 6 weeks and five days out from 12 months on my contract (caused by delay in stock supply of the iPhone 7 Plus from Optus last year), Optus will not let me upgrade without paying out the contract in full ($845.01)!

The system is ‘not at all flexible’ according to support. They can only offer new contracts, upgrade contracts past 12 months or offer payouts. There is no leeway for early upgrade as there has been in the past. I was even happy to pay the $99 upgrade fee and the contract fees for 6 weeks and 5 days to bring me up to the 12 month mark. I didn’t want something for nothing. I just wanted to get in on the iPhone X early. 

You also CANNOT upgrade via online ordering. You have to go to an Optus store. I got this information from four different support staff today. They are going to correct the information being provided by Optus staff here. 

If I have ordered anything from the website in the past, it has always stopped before the order is complete if I wasn’t eligible. Not any more; you can now waste your time placing an order that they won’t be prepared to fulfill and then spend hours debating it with their staff and still end up SOL. 

Oh and the reason I was given for the lack of flexibility? “You can check with any of our competitors and they are absolutely strict on contract dates.” Great business plan: lower yourself to their level!

Needless to say I won’t be recontracting with Optus and I’ve been a customer for nearly 20 years.

Customers are your most important asset Optus. Without us you don’t have a business, your staff don’t get paid and your investors don’t get their dividends. Give that some thought the next time you make a decision that limits consumer satisfaction. 

12 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: iPhone X order debacle

"caused by delay in stock supply of the iPhone 7 Plus from Optus last year"

Seems you haven't learned yet. Its highly likely that preorders for the iPhone X will be delayed many months - they only have 3 million units for world wide distribution on November 3 (The US alone has 90 million iPhone users)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor Talos63
Contributor

I’ve learned thank you Peter, and I’ve read your reply in other threads. As I said, I wanted to be in the queue earlier. 

Frankly if thats all you you got out of my post, I think you missed the point...

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I was going to edit my post as it was a bit harsh. Meant more to say that history may be doomed to repeat itself if current numbers are as forcast.

You make a good point on the inflexability of the upgrade system. Samsung users had a similar issue recently when the Note was released after 10 months. Optus had put all existing customers affected (by the Note recall) on new plans but didn't back date the plan to when they originally signed up. Consequently a lot of eager people here had to wait two more months before being allowed access to the $99 plan (despite having been a customer for over 12 months). I lobbied for a one off relax in the process, but it was never taken up by Optus.

FWIW I think? the $99 contract involves another contract with a third party by Optus. That contract prevents Optus offering some flexablity which would seem to be a good idea.

Hope your place in the queue translates to one in the hand soon.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor Talos63
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Peter. I’ve decided to let the order go and not upgrade at all. If I have to wait until December to upgrade it will be well into next year before I get the phone if previous releases are anything to go by. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Fel12-
New Contributor

Actually I have ordered mine online 🙂 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Bobbsy
New Contributor

Count your blessings.  I ordered 2 iPhone 8 phones not too long after they came out.  I got the "everything you need to know" email a few days late but it came.  However, it sat on "waiting for your phone at the warehouse" for a couple of weeks.  After several phone calls and online chats, somebody went away and checked things then came back and told me I owed more than $200 because of my early cancellation, hence the delay.  After 90 minutes arguing they finally acknowledged that my old contract had finished in March of this year.  They finally okayed the order to be delivered and it came in 3 days later--the track your order service sat on "waiting at the warehouse" for another week.

Not finished though...my next bill came in and included an extra item of around $275 because of my early cancellation.  Another round of phone misery and I finally got somebody.  No matter what I said they scripted reply was that I owed Optus money.  I asked for a supervisor and went through it all again.  The supervisor went away and, more than an hour later came back and told me that I was right about the end date but that my next three bills will have an extra $275 on it but "don't worry, I'll put through a credit note for a bit over $800 to make up for it.  Talk about a stupid system.

Now I've pre-ordered an iPhone X for my wife--I ordered within a hour of the page going up on the Optus site.  Guess what...the shipment status says they're waiting for my phone at the warehouse.

I haven't had the nerve to tackle another phone torture yet...bet there's another problem.  There always is.

Contributor ibatesy
Contributor

Greeting all,

I know I’m not alone in feeling like Optus aren’t taking customers seriously in regards to the iPhone X orders.

With the lack of information, or solutions to the problems we are dealing with we are being left in the dark, and Optus are failing to deliver on their commitments made to each of us.

I have been without a phone for over 2 months now and they have mismanaged the order on 3 seperate occasions and now I’m in the position where they have taken a payment out of my account automatically without my permission for a phone they refuse to deliver.

If anyone else is interested in joining a class action suit against Optus, please email me at the following email:

da.batesy@gmail.com

Let me know the issues you’re dealing with and we will all liase with the Ombresman of Communications and hold these muppets accountable, enough is enough.

Power in numbers guys and girls, we will show them they can’t get away with this.

I look forward to hearing from you all, I promise I will try harder to gain a satisfactory outcome for us all compared to the service and support that the Optus staff have so far provided.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@ibatesy

Optus have definitely dropped the ball in keeping customers in the loop with iPhoneX deliveries. 

Have you requested to cancel the arrangement? Usually the simplest thing is to cut ties and move on.

A class action only requires seven people in Australia but given only 15 actions are usually filed in Australia each year I'm guessing their not as simple as they sound. 

The TIO ombudsman is well equiped to right contractual failings and if Optus can't provide a satisfactory outcome after a complaint then each user should definitely lodge a TIO complaint.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor ibatesy
Contributor

Hi Peter,

I understand what you’re saying yet I am still undeterred to go ahead with this after the suffering I have endured the last couple of months. I know I am not alone, but still I didn’t expect 3 people to email me within 10 minutes of the last post. At this rate I don’t know whether or not I will be able to deal with each persons complaint in a personal manner, therefore I will look to creating a petition on getup.org.au so that way I can provide a direct link for people to digitally sign the petition. This will allow them to share their stories with people on social media platforms. If anything the word will spread how Optus treat their customers, maybe like you say, a class action might be a little complicated, but at least other potential customers will be much more aware of how Optus operates before making the decision to switch to Optus, or purchasing/upgrading to a new service/phone.

Bad publicity will hurt them a lot more than anything, and that will hopefully force them into changing the way they practice currently.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Paul Bate.

0 Kudos