Searching...

Mobile

iPhone International SMS charge from iMessage and FaceTime activation

Andy

Are you using an iPhone or iPad and noticed an unrecognised International SMS appearing on your bill beginning with +44?  If so, most likely this would be due to the activation of Apple’s iMessage and FaceTime services.

Whenever iMessage or FaceTime are activated your iOS device sends a text overseas, usually to a UK number starting with +44 to complete the activation process. This is a one off charge unless you switch these features off, in which case an Int’l SMS will be sent again the next time you go to reactivate them.

There’s also an on screen message to notify of the SMS before you activate for the first time, similar to the below example:

FaceTime Msg.jpg

This is just the way Apple’s service communicates with their servers so hopefully this helps clear up any confusion if you see these International SMS on your bill! If you’re still unsure on what charges you’re seeing you can chat online to our team here and they can get your details to help Smiley Happy

Re: iPhone International SMS charge from iMessage and FaceTime activation

BradleyWitham

Thanks. I have never seen this, but will pay closer attention to my bill.  I wonder if all carriers charge this fee?

SamSam

There's no charge for the service itself (or activating it) it's just the process the service uses to activate generally incurs a charge from the provider. That said, to my knowledge, unless your plan includes the necessary international SMS/MMS, you'd be charged by all providers except Telstra who have implemented a work around.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted

NexusQ

I have previously gone through all my bills with Optus since the iPhone 3G, and on about 4 occasions they have charged me 90c each time, the last time this happened I called optus and they give me credit for it.

Recently I tried to activate iMessage, and it works without sending an SMS and this is with iOS 8.3 on my iPhone 5s.

I even stepped up by calling this a "nice windfall" between the carrier and optus, every time I get a new iPhone I have to activate this it seems, and on those occasions due to pro rata calculation on the current month, it would mean that the user is unlikely to look through the bill in detail. And if there are 200,000, that's a quiet a nice windfall.

JenkoJ1

Or you could just show some good faith and waive the fee for that particular number.

For a telco with a majority iOS users (or so it use to be) you sure don't support the platform as well as you should.

wilbertthompson

Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. Visit here

[ Edited ]
TelstrasBitch

(removed)

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
13 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos