Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Teejayhh
New Contributor
New Contributor

iPhone 8 Plus buyout price after lease ends

Hello,  this year my 2 year lease expires and would like to end the lease contract as it is way too expensive. I would like to keep my phone as it is still perfectly fine, so does anyone know what price I can expect?

cheers Thomas 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: iPhone 8 Plus buyout price after lease ends

Its no longer possible to enter or extend a lease agreement with Optus. Apparently Optus has been getting a steadily rising number of complaints about the regretable and misleading practice and no doubt many more to come as the two year lease comes to a close. Customers potentially 'saved' ~$240 in plan fees but either end up with no phone or must now pay $100's more to try keep the phone

One of the (many) downsides to the lease option is you have no say in the buy out pricing. It is up to Optus to decide what they think of as fair value. I suppose though if they price it too high then you can hand it back (assuming its completely undamaged) and buy a replacement iPhone 8 on eBay. FWIW second hand 64Gb units are going for around $700 now.

You'll need to drop into an Optus store and get someone to check out the phone and give you a price though.

Peter Gillespie

Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Teejayhh,

Adding to Peter's response more information about leasing options can be found here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Teejayhh
New Contributor
New Contributor

I just went to my closest Optus store and have been told I have to pay $600 for a 2 year old iPhone 8 MAX buyout.  If I return it I also have to pay $99. This is extremely disappointing as I could have paid $10 more over the 2 years and I could have kept the phone. 

Optus has lost me as a customer, hello Telstra. 

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Teejayhh ,

The $99 fee suggests you are trying to send the contract early. Any pay out figure would include the remaining plan payments. At 24 months you should only have to pay a set price to keep the phone (optional)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
hack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I would love for somebody from Optus to respond to this

6 weeks ago (2 months from the end of the lease contract) I was quoted $320 to buy the phone outright.

two weeks later they said $350 and now they are saying $512

Optus - help me understand how that works

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The only response from Optus you'll get here is that they can't help you. You'll need to talk directly via the mobile app or facebook to discus.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can 'discus'. A lease contract means Optus can pretty much settle on any price it sees fit to. The prices are also not fixed until you accept an offer.

If the price seems too high you can always just return it and buy one that better fits your budget and expectations. There are a few good refurb companies on the internet.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors