Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
johnny6658
New Contributor
New Contributor

iPhone 12 Pro Max regularly dropping to 3G

I’ve had issues with my phone dropping to 3G (especially when in my pocket) where my partners Samsung would stay on 4G in areas with weaker signal. I’ve had the phone replaced and am experiencing the exact same issue in the same locations.

I’ve tested a Telstra sim in the phone and it doesn’t do this. It appears that it could be something to do with the carrier settings. I get weaker signal on Telstra (-116) and stronger on Optus in the same spot (-112). If I place my phone in my pocket it will drop to 3G on Optus however Telstra will keep 4G connected.

Is there anyway this can be checked out?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Aron_YC

Re: iPhone 12 Pro Max regularly dropping to 3G

Hey johnny6658, I'd recommend getting a SIM replacement if you've not already done so. This can be organised at no charge in any Optus store. When a SIM is faulty it can present with poor connectivity issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
johnny6658
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’ve tried a sim replacement and am now on an esim with the same issues.
0 Kudos
Aron_YC

In that case the issue would seem to be with the device, particularly if your partner's device is not having the same issue. It could be that the antenna in the phone isn't able to pick up the 4G frequencies as well when their is a barrier of some kind, your pocket in this case, but I'm not able to say for sure. I'd say this warrants raising a case with our Technical Support team so it can be investigated further.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
johnny6658
New Contributor
New Contributor

Didn’t get anywhere with tech support - solution was to change to Telstra. No more issues now.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors