Searching...

Mobile

iOS photo gallery share sheet missing message option

psd

I have an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.1.4 and when I am viewing photos in my gallery, I do not get the option to share via message. The message option only becomes available on the share sheet, when iMessage is turned on, which I do not want to do. I have reset all settings, have all roaming data, mms, settings etc switched on but I do not get the message option on the share sheet. I can, however, select a photo to send via message, but only once I am already in the message app and select photo. Again, this doesn't resolve the issue of message being available in the share sheet, only when iMessage is switched on. Thanks.

Re: iOS photo gallery share sheet missing message option

psd

After further investigation, it appears to be a bug with iOS 12, as I have an old phone with iOS 11.4 and the share sheet still shows the message option, even with iMessage switched off.

psd

After further investigation, it seems to only affect some users. Mine and my wife's phones have this bug, but a couple of people at work with iOS 12.1.4 don't have any issues, even though they're with Optus too. Weird.

psd

I have updated to iOS 12.2 and am still having this problem. Anyone else unable to share images to messages, via the image gallery share sheet? Thanks.

Ray_YC

I can't think of any Apple users amongst our regular contributors... @caaf perhaps?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

caaf

Thanks for the shout Ray,

The only way I could get it to a similar state as your situation was to turn off iMessage and MMS (in settings), then went in to Photo’s to confirm, clearly couldn’t send via message. Then went back to settings, turned on MMS only, opened photos and found it was still a no go.. Being iPhone 8 I double tapped the home button and closed Photo’s then reopened, that jumped started the capabilities of sending MMS again. 

How to Close Apps on the iPhone XS and iPhone XR
  1. Put your finger toward the bottom of the display and swipe up.
  2. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and hold your finger on the display for about a half second. ...
  3. Swipe up on the app you want to force quit.

You may as well close all your open apps as there may be a few sitting in the background that hasn’t been needed for a while.

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

psd

Hi there, thanks for your reply, but this does not work for me. I have already tried the steps you mentioned, but thought I would try them again, to no avail. There is no combination of settings that allow me to send via message, directly from the gallery, with iMessage switched off. I contacted Apple today to troubleshoot the issue. They would not give me a straight answer if this way of sharing has been removed with iOS 12.2 and instead, I ended up restoring to factory settings, again, to no avail. Smiley Sad

caaf

I too am running 12.2 iOS. I can only share what I found and how I created a similar issue to yours.

You certainly don’t read like a novice but I do have to ask..

Under Settings/Mobile..... Is.....

Data turned on?

Can you browse the internet in Safari?

/Mobile Data Options/Enable 4G - Voice & Date?

Data Roaming ser to “ON”? (Personally it shouldn’t need to be on but may kick start something)

/Mobile Data-Does it show yesinternet? Have you tried “Reset Settings” and restarted?

Settings/Messages....is...

MMS Turned on?

Thats it, from here on I have nothing sorry.. I do wonder though if you have another iPhone (maybe android?) to play with and do a sim swap to see if it’s network or device based??

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

psd

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your follow up reply. Unfortunately, I believe it may be iOS based, as my old iPhone 6+ with iOS 11 seems to share to messages no problem, with the same sim. I have toggled all of the settings you have listed above and I have reset network settings and then finally, all settings. I have now erased and restored my iPhone XS Max from my iCloud backup (as per Apple support) and the issue still persists.
I can still send pictures via MMS (with iMessage switched off), but only once I am in the message app, and select a photo from that option. 

Briefly, I often need to send photos to colleagues who may not be in my contacts list. Previously, I could launch the camera from the lock screen, take a photo, tap share, tap message and enter their number. Now...I have to take the photo, open up messages, tap photos, select photo, and then type their number in, or, open messages, and take a photo from there and then add contact info. It may seem petty, but my old way of sharing was much simpler (for me) and involved less steps and not having to use iMessage. 

Apologies that this has now panned out to be an iOS issue, and not an Optus issue, but I would still like to leave this info on the forum, as I have been struggling for weeks to find others having the same issue as me. Maybe the way I use my phone is in the minority and I guess it's now another case of Apple's, "do as you're told" mantra. :\

Cheers,
Paul

caaf

What a pain... I don’t suppose you have a family member or friend on a different mobile network (as in Telstra or Vodafone) that could do a sim swap and see if it’ll force/push a fresh carrier update or even see if the MMS works while hanging off there carrier? It’ll finally and potentially rule out the carrier as the issue......maybe.

Cheers Dave

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
13 Kudos
7 Kudos
5 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos