cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor remyrus0803
New Contributor

getting an ESIM

Hello I have been trying to get an esim ready for the coming up iphone 11 pro.

i understand that i need to get one in store Garden City Booragoon in Particular and was told throughout WA is out of stock.

i was told by the store to call customer care but customer care told me to go into store.

-now what is the point of me going to each individual store to get an esim when there is no stock

- why cant i be send one when i was told by a store to get one from you guys and have wasted a total of 2 hours getting transferred back and forth to different departments repeating the same stuff

- the store even does not have stock for the past 2 months already and wasnt sent any?

can someone please provide a solution and i dont have to waste anymore time. Customer service by Optus is absolutely 

atrocious staff with lack of knowledge and care factor

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: getting an ESIM

An e-sim is a virtual product. i.e. there's no "stock" to pick up. AFAIK only Telstra support e-Sims currently.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Montheus
New Contributor

You need to get the phone first and then take it in to any Optus store who will enable the esim feature on you phone. Only iphone xs and above have this feature. Optus and Telstra both offer esim functionality. I have the esim enabled on my Optsu iphone xs

The esim is enabled as a  "mobile plan" under Settimgs/Mobile. You can insert a second physical SIM on the phone for travelling and if you want to use another service besides Optus for any special offers. You can switch between SIMS and make either the physical SIM or the eSim the primary phone number to call from. You can also receive calls on both numbers as they are active

Occasional Contributor joethemobile
Occasional Contributor

Atm Optus doesn't have an electronic provisioning of acquiring eSIM QR codes, and the only way for now is by going to an Optus Store. 

If the store doesn't have it you'll have to wait until they have one. Nevertheless, you can visit all other Optus Stores to check if they have one. The hotline cannot help you on this case as its going to be a hardcopy of the QR. 

I hope Optus will change this particular process just like any other carriers around the world that has an electronic QR provisioning. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor remyrus0803
New Contributor

Yes thats not really a practical way going around each individual store to look for one. Wish the they are more efficient in doing this cause the call centre is absolutely hopeless when it comes to customer service
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

eSims are still emerging tech. They apparently have some significant drawbacks (mostly because Telcos have been slow to update their tech). Replacing a lost eSim is apparently torturous and the need to go in store to get one seems like an oxymoron etc.

WIP I suppose

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi guys,

I'm sure I've seen @Dan_C recently suggest on another similar thread reaching out to the Social Media team for assistance when stores are out of stock for eSIMs.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors