Searching...

Mobile

eSIM in the new iPhone xs

Andy_J

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could confirm if the eSIM in the new iPhone XS will be enabled to use with overseas carriers when travelling internationally, just for a prepaid data plan. I don't wish to use the dual sim within Australia, only when travelling overseas. 

The following has me concerned I won't even be able to use it overseas: ''Interestingly, however, Apple notes that use of an eSIM in an iPhone may be disabled "when purchasing from some carriers". '' - this is from https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/what-is-esim

Thanks!

Re: eSIM in the new iPhone xs

Tano

Hey @Andy_J, only a very small number of international carriers will support eSIM. At this stage, Australia isn't one of them. Apologies for any inconvenience. Tano

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Andy_J

Thanks for you response @Tano. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my question. As Apple indicate at in the footnotes of the product page for the iPhone XS at point 11:

''eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Using eSIM requires a carrier plan, which may include restrictions on roaming and switching service providers, even after the contract has expired. Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchasing from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209044.:''

My question is will Optus be one of these carriers that disable the eSIM when purchasing from them? 

Tris

Unsure at this stage @Andy_J. We won't be supporting eSIM initially, so it's possible

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

lindsey24

If we are to lease the iPhone Xs will we be able to purchase a second e-sim from another EU carrier if traveling in the EU and use that instead of roaming? 

singingfrog

so how does that compare with the eSim in the Apple Watch series 3?  Wouldn't the eSIM for the Apple Watch and for the new iPhone XS be the same technology?

wills0052

Following the iOS 12.1 update it doesn’t seem like Optus is disabling eSIM. There is an option in settings to Add Sim Plan which can be done by scanning a QR code. Slightly different to the Apple Watch where you just log into Optus.

pjjdp

I wonder if there were any changes yet from Optus regarding the use of the eSim in the Xs. It's now nearly 6 months later, let's hope something are changing.

PDG888

I find it absolutely appalling that this feature is still not available, i think a lot of customers will change carriers or in the near future purchasing 2 sim android phones.

Come on Optus get on board with new technology and provide to your paying customers.

Amuthan007

eSIM is now available from Optus. You need to go to their store to activate it.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos
3 Kudos