Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Will I be able to upgrade my iPhone early with Optus?

I took out an Optus contract in October last year and got the iphone 11. I was told at the time that if iphone release a new phone within 12 months then I could upgrade with no penalty. It looks like the 12 will be released in September so I’m hoping that this info is correct and there is no “fine print”. Has anyone done this kind of upgrade before?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Iphone uphrade

Are you on a 24 month contract plan? If so Optus has a standard 12 month trade up option but it costs $149 (and you need to re contract for another 24 months). Do you have any record of being told that fee would be waived?

New Phone Trade Up
If you add a 24 or 36-month device payment plan to these plans in the last 12 months of the device payment plan, you can upgrade early to a new eligible device on a new device payment plan. Just pay the $149 Trade Up fee, return your original device to Optus in good working order and sign up to your new 24 or 36-month device payment plan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

October would have still been older plans.
Was a promo on iphone for a free (not $149) upgrade at 12 months (does not matter if it was 24 or 36 month contract)

I also signed up then and got this promo.

This upgrade process is not complex, easiest way is to take your device into an Optus store so they can check it for damage, If all ok then you can upgrade (have to factory wipe, remove from apple account etc first)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Great. Thanks for your reply.

I took my phone out over 36 months. Would I be right in assuming that, seeing as I’m giving back a $1000 phone after one year, my contract will remain with 2 years to go?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

No you start on a brand new current market plan which is month to month and a handset that's either 12,24 or 36 month.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I hesitate to add. But no, you will need to sign a new contract. Not sure if Optus will insist on it being another 36 month term (that is usually the case though)

Note, don't look at it like 'giving' Optus a $1000 phone. You're actually swapping a second hand $1000 phone for a brand new $1500+ phone. Its a pretty sweet deal.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Great. Thanks guys, appreciate your replies 😁😁
0 Kudos