cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Danimus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Why are there never any 256gb Ipads in stores?

So I have been looking for an ipad pro for about 6 months.

I work in Melbourne city, so occasionally drop in to Optus stores and would have impulse purchased an Ipad... But....

They never have any larger GB models in stock. I have been in at least 6 times now and same story, we can order one within a week or so.

Why Optus? Why? Do you actually know how many impulse sales you are missing out on? I have overheard many others looking for the same thing as well and they also wonder why.  I don't want one dropped off at my house as I'm not there, and means I have to go to a post office on my weekend.

Why don't you start stocking them in stores or can you tell me an honest solid reason why you don't?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why are there never any 256gb Ipads in stores?

To start with most Optus stores are not Optus stores, they're franchises that are owned and run by others. So inventory control is probably a big concern.  I suspect the answer to your question comes down to overheads and popularity.

Its not just "Why no 256Gb" models? Its 64Gb, 10" screen, 128Gb rose, gold 12.9" screen 256Gb, silver 10.9" screen 32Gb, etc. And that's just current iPad model. If a business is going to decide to have all this on its shelves then presumably they need the previous model, plus android devices (all of them) etc. etc. A business would need $100,000+ up front just to keep two of each apple model combo in store (risking theft, damage and loss). 

256Gb would also have to be a pretty niche market. iPads are structured so that most users wouldn't need that amount of data and even if they thought they did would probably trade off between 64Gb or 128Gb models and just manage their data a little proactively. I can't find any sales figures but I'd be surprised if the top tier iPad accounted for more than 5% of total iPad sales (not profit mind you). 

Finally, For demonstration purposes the 16Gb is identical to the 256Gb model. So no benefits there.

So no doubt the stores carry a few of the most popular iPads on shelves (My local Optus has just two iPads in stock) I agree optus are missing out on the impulse shopper but most people buying iqupment from Optus stores would be looking to combine them with a plan I assume? The plan is where Optus makes its money from - they're probably even happier to sell a plan and not have to deal with supporting the hardware if at all possible. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So, you will ahve to take 30 minutes time out of your weekend.

0 Kudos
Danimus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter for a well thought out response.

I guess I'll just work out another way.

Cheers.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It was a good question (which is why I spent a while looking into it).

Good Luck finding somewhere where you can 'pull the trigger' and walk out a happy owner Smiley Happy 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors