cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

johnm_35
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Visual Voicemail

Their system is archaic, that is the point. It's such an old feature it should be expected. Imagine getting an iphone with a provider and finding out you couldn't send an SMS. 

SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I don't understand the relevance of your question @JBW63?

I disagree with your statement around it being reasonable for it to be a standard feature in 2015 because in my opinion it most certainly isn't. It's an incredibly helpful feature and one I'd be using if I could having used it previously but I wouldn't call it standard. My question to you would be if Visual Voicemail is standard, than what falls outside of standard now? 

As for your question around where does it stop & start, I'd say it should start with the features you need to run your business as that sounds pretty crucial. 

Again I don't think Optus has hidden from the fact they don't offer this. It's like any company would openly advertise what they DON'T offer but rather will focus on what they do. As I don't see this as a standard feature I also don't see it as a major shortcoming but there's no harm in having differing opinions. 

At the end of the day there's nothing in your contract to say it needs to be available and Optus haven't provided false advertising by saying it would be available so I don't think you'll get out of your contract without an early termination fee. Good luck if you persue it though

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
JBW63
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Please be honest - you are so obviously an Optus puppet managing their forums on line.
Your comments are just so biased.
Plus I note your 244 posts!!

Have a read of just how may other people feel the SAME way here  -its obviously an issue.
Why deny it?

It is basic law for a contracting party to disclose all reasonable information.
Withholding such is a basis for termination.
Optus did not, knowing I was discussing an iphone.  Simple.

The matter is now with the TIO. Verbally they have agreed it is reasonable that I am released from the Contract.
Stay tuned for formal TIO notification.

For others wanting to complain - feel free to use my wording below.

Humans matter - not just corporations.
:

JBW63
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

SUGGESTED WORDING FOR TIO COMPLAINTS:

NO VISUAL VOICEMAIL ON THE OPTUS NETWORK

I was beyond bewildered to discover on connecting the iPhone that the Optus Network didn’t support APPLE VISUAL VOICEMAIL - a key feature on the iPhone for many years.

Both Telstra & Vodafone have had this standard network feature for over 5 years.
I've lived in 3 other countries & all my other networks had it.
The Optus voicemail system is effectively the same as the 1990's & is not worthy of a smartphone today.

I believe it is totally reasonable for it to be a standard feature in 2015 & for a consumer to expect it to be there by comparable industry standards, as detailed above.

Further, it raises the issue of Optus not disclosing a major shortcoming relevant to a new iPhone contract, at the time when I am making pre-contract enquires specifically comparing the networks & specifically relevant to an iPhone model.

Note also that this major shortcoming of the Optus network has been raised on numerous internet sites, including in particular the Optus own COMMUNITY PAGE.
You will note the many, many people complaining of this.
https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Visual-Voicemail/td-p/96927

COMPLAINT TO OPTUS

I rang Optus on the next business day post my connection to discuss this
I had an online chat for XX mins
Then a call to Connections for XX mins
Then a call to Customer Service for XX mins.

I requested either:
A – Optus confirm this feature would become available in the short term & provide a likely date, OR
B – That I wished to cancel my service, under a contract “cooling off” concept.

Optus refused to answer item A.
They then advised no cooling off period was available & that a termination of the 24 month contract would incur over $1500 in charges.

I refused to accept this.

After these extensive discussions, they promised a senior person would call me back within 24 hours.
72 hours later this has still not happened.

OUTCOMES DESIRED VIA THE TIO

I wish to terminate this contract with no penalty, based upon:

A – As detailed above, Optus lacking a key network feature that should be available, & that is industry standard.

B – Optus should have reasonably disclosed, either in their website, advertising or the various chats I had in my pre-contract enquiries, that they were lacking this key feature.

B – I made the request for termination within 1 business day of connection.

C – Their inability to solve the issue, or even reply to me as promised.

SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@JBW63 settle down champ, no need to be throwing accusations around. I'm certainly not here representing Optus in an official manner and I think you'll find there are 2 community managers and a number of moderators running this forum, not me. I just happen to enjoy helping people out. Thanks for pointing out my post count though, I'm pretty happy with it!

Just because you say it's an issue doesn't make it one. If Optus had lied and advertised this feature or any other and not provided it, I agree that's an issue. However they've not done that. They haven't advertised it anywhere, they haven't made a promise of providing it now or on any specific date so I don't see this as a problem. But, our opinions are clearly different on that one.

Just as you believe this was reasonable information to disclose at the point of sale. I think that comes back to your question of where does it start and end? 

That said, I think a company like Optus (second biggest telco in Aus I'm pretty sure?) should consider providing such a handy feature. It doesn't mean they need to though.

Please do make sure you post back here with the outcome. I'm really surprised someone from the TIO agreed it was reasonable but we'll see how everything turns out and I'll eagerly await the outcome

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
JBW63
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@SamSam

No need to get personal Sam - with comments like "settle down champ"

Please!

It is pointless having a never ending discussion on this - it is obvious where your allegiance lies.

Time we both do some charity work instead.

I will await the TIO confirmation of contract termination, then post here when received.

0 Kudos
booska
New Contributor
New Contributor

I would love to switch over to Optus with my mobile but I'm stuck with Telstra till Optus has this cause being in business I need this option...
Why don't they listen and step up to the plate... Even vodafail has VV. you would think a tear 1 provider would have this basic feature
msprague4
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

SamSam. I can't imagine anyone would just hang around this poorly constructed Optus forum just helping out people. Yahoo answers, sure. A dedicated interest based forum I.e whirlpool, ok. But this clunky website dedicated almost completely to complaints about Optus services and products, seems like a bunch of bull to me. I've read some more of your posts and you seem to always have a strong allegiance with Optus. Time to creat a new undercover agent Optus and scrap this one maybe call it "SameSame"?
JBW63
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

YOU CAN NOW LEAVE THE CONTrACT WITH OPTUS !!
SEE EMAIL BELOW - OPTUS SENT

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your reply.

I have read through the history of your concern, there certainly seems to be a miscommunication at the point of sale in relation to visual voicemail. Sadly, I cannot provide a date we will be able to support this feature.

In light of this I am happy to release you from your contract, there are a few conditions attached to this though

The phone will need to be returned with no physical damage and in complete working order.
Any monthly usage cost up to the time you port out will be payable.
I am happy to credit your early termination fees and when the handset is returned I will credit the separate charge of the handset pay out.

Please let me know if this offer is suitable.
I look forward to your reply

Regards

XXXXX (DELETED)
Customer Relations Executive | CRG
Consumer | Optus
1 Third Avenue, Technology Park, Mawson Lakes SA 5095

0 Kudos
Gen_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi JBW63 - just to confirm, not having visual voice mail is not a reason why anyone would be released from contract. We're always looking at providing new products and improving the voice mail experience. If someone was released from contract for any reason that would be assessed on a case by case basis. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos