Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Averma
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unauthorised Number porting from optus has been donn

Number porting has been done unauthorised on my son’s optus mobile mobile by hackers. This led hackers to access my son’s bank account and a large sum withdrawn.

How can unauthorised number porting be prevented by optus, as there seem to be no 2 factors authentication in place.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: Unauthorised Number porting from optus has been donn

Hey @Averma - Thank you for sharing this.

We generally have Customer Authorisation before a port can be processed so that this is safely done.

Given that there's an issue though, please visit your local Optus store so that a Port Reversal form can be filled out. Our team will then process this for you and ensure the number is transferred back safely. Please also seek out the Financial Institution where appropriate and let them know what has happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Steven_YCThe process you have indicated is SLOWWW, first @Averma needs to find a store that is open and physically go into a store.

In this day a company that sells it's self as a "yes" company is not able to do this online or ovet the phone or via Optus's social media groups is unbelievabley DUMP/STUPID/BACKWARDS!!!

Can you please pass the feedback that Optus is helping hackers by making is slower to get the number back to the original owner.

Averma
New Contributor
New Contributor

Not sure why optus being yes is not implementing 2FA. Customers losing a lot of hard earned money.
0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@AvermaThey are only yes, until you need help in a hurry or you need accurate help based on my experience with them.

Averma
New Contributor
New Contributor

Authorisation over phone is not the right security. When the hackers have taken the control of your mobile, like in this case they took full control, then your authorisation process will fail like it happened this time.
As a rule, over the phone number porting should be stopped. Customers willing to port the number should be asked to visit a optus store and get 100 points verification done. Store would be able to match the face/ signature that may possibly prevent hacking.
0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@AvermaI completely disagree with your last post. The process should be to make the process more secure and porting should require a response from the existing phone SIM via an SMS.

Changing SIMS gets a bit more complex as hackers could change your address etc and this should require.... and then and only then........ can it occur.

..... needs to be secure and reliable and allow people who are  not near a n Optus store to get a new SIM/replacement SIM.

Be aware that the IMEI is from a physical phone and could be used as part of the process assuming it is not able to be physed.

0 Kudos
Aman_YC

Hi @Averma - apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We do take all possible care to avoid unauthorised ports and for that we do keep your existing SIM active.  For more details on this please click here .  Apart from this we have passed on your feedback to our porting team as well. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.
If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then Optus on Facebook or on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors