Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sammi67
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

UNABLE TO NUMBER SHARE BWTWEEN IPHONE 8 PLUS AND APLLE WATCH SE

I am an existing Optus customer. I purchased an Apple watch SE and an iPhone 8 plus was passed down to me. I tried to set up number sharing on the phone with Optus phone support and it has been unsuccessful. I go through the pairing and when I go into the watch app on my mobile and into mobile and instructed to click 'set up mobile' It does not allow me and says

'Optus does not currently support Apple watch' The Optus support have taken me through the unpairing and pairing several times unsuccessfully. It is frustrating. The case was escalated but no one has got back to me despite me calling them last week and I was told again someone would contact me. 

I have been billed for this service even though I do not have it and want it, that is the reason I purchased the Apple watch.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Nard_YC

Re: UNABLE TO NUMBER SHARE BWTWEEN IPHONE 8 PLUS AND APLLE WATCH SE

Hi @sammi67, thanks for posting on YesCrowd. 

It's not great to hear about the issues you're having trying to activate Number Share with your Apple Watch SE and iPhone 8 Plus. 

Can I ask if you previously had another Apple Watch / Smartwatch which had Number Shared enable before upgrading to the new Apple Watch SE?

If so, we may have to un-provision Number Share from the system and then re-prevision it again to allow it to work with your new Apple Watch SE.

If you've never had Number Share activated prior to getting your new Apple Watch SE, this may require some further investigation.

Since we're unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd and because it sounds like you've had the run around with our support teams, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page and the team will look into this for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

sammi67
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

An Apple watch was paired with this phone but did not have number share as his watch was a series 5 with GPS (non-cellular).

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Thanks for confirming those details @sammi67

I just wanted to share the requirements of Number Share to ensure you've got everything needed to set it up. 

To have Number Share active, you'll need the following:

• Know your My Account username and password
  • Be on an eligible Postpaid plan (Prepaid services are not eligible for Number Share). You can check your plan eligibility online
  • Have a SIM that was issued no earlier than 2012
  • VoLTE must be enabled on both the handset and service.
  • iPhone should be running iOS 11 or later

If you've ticked all these requirements and are still having issues, please send through a PM to our Facebook or Twitter team as mentioned above and they'll have this investigated further for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

sammi67
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a feeling that my  Sim card may be older than 2012. I have only been with Optus for a few months as I was transferred over from Virgin when they closed. I am going to go into Optus and ask for a new Sim and see if this solves the problem. I will let you know. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
sammi67
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: UNABLE TO NUMBER SHARE BETWEEN IPHONE 8 PLUS AND APPLE WATCH SE

0 Kudos
Aron_YC

Let us know how it goes after you get a new SIM, it's definitely a possible cause if you've been on the same SIM since 2012

sammi67
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aron, Well the Sim card was a virgin one from 2008. I went in and got a new sim and it worked straight away. I am so excited. Thank you to everyone for your help. If the Sim card date was not mentioned I would have probably never have found a solution. I just wish technical support had some idea that this could have been the problem. 

Thanks so much

Serena_YC

Thanks for keeping us posted here, @sammi67. Glad to hear that you have been able to activate Number Share successfully after the SIM replacement. 😃 

If you did need a hand with anything else, do feel free to get in touch with us here at any time. 

Top Contributors