Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Laetitia-Ann
New Contributor
New Contributor

Summary SIM charges

I have now for the second consecutive month been charged 50c each for two international text messages. Optus is unable to give me the telephone numbers and waived the charge for the first month.  I'm getting increasingly frustrated.  If this happens next month again, I'm reporting them to the ACCC.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Summary SIM charges

You need to report it to TIO not ACCC.

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hey  @Laetitia-Ann - Thanks for sharing this.

Hmm..it's strange our team were not able to address this. Are you able to send our Facebook or Twitter team a direct message? We'll get this looked into and see what's going on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not much Optus can do. Privacy Laws means they can't divulge the numbers. If some one does ring you then Optus are entitle to charge a fee. In these cases Optus usually just refunds the amount (which they've done quickly). Reporting them to the TIO or ACCC would generally need for them to have done something wrong first?

Some carriers allow you to block all international incoming messages. See if that is an option (if it is workable for you)

0 Kudos
Laetitia-Ann
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've sent a pm on Facebook. Waiting for a response.

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Our team will assist with this shortly. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:

Not much Optus can do. Privacy Laws means they can't divulge the numbers. 

You're assuming that its for an incoming text. Its more logical to assume its for an outgoing text.

If some one does ring you then Optus are entitle to charge a fee. 

So Aussie telco's now charge for incoming text/calls? 

Reporting them to the TIO or ACCC would generally need for them to have done something wrong first?

If they are charging for incoming text then that does seem like they are doing something wrong as I can't imagine that there are any plans that charge for incoming texts.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"You're assuming that its for an incoming text"

Correct and on a re-read yes it makes much more sense that this is about an outgoing SMS and that it fits under the umbrella of Optus billing system glitch (The conspiracy theorist in me might suggest Optus deliberately seed thousands of such "billing errors" across random customers. Most go unnoticed, most of the rest get relegated to not worth an hour to contact Optus to complain and the few that do just get their 50c back).

"that does seem like they are doing something wrong"

The TIO is only interested in rectifying issues. Its not punitive or investigative. So while its obvious that the fee is incorrect, Optus have reversed it without issue on request. That's the most the TIO would every expect of them.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:

The TIO is only interested in rectifying issues.

Going to the TIO was conditional on it happening again which would indicate that the underlying issue was not fixed and therefore needs rectifying. Note that I'm not suggesting/implying that the root cause is in fact an Optus issue (it could be a rogue/unexpected behaviour of an app), just that TIO was to goto agency instead of ACCC if they wanted to escalate.

Top Contributors