Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor baxterb
New Contributor

Still being charged for 'unmetered' spotify data

Hey everyone,

Recently I set up my phone in the 'entertainment' centre to recieve unmetered spotify and other music streaming services. I recieved a text to say that I was not being charged for this data. However it is still being metered on my phone - I used 600mb of data in the last 2 days. Looking at my data insights 300mb of this was from spotify, the other 300 being from other applications. I know data insights is supposed to also show umeausred as well as measured applications, however my usage itself also says that I have used this 300mb from spotify.  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Still being charged for 'unmetered' spotify data

Hi @baxterb!

If you’re on an eligible mobile or mobile broadband plan, or Prepaid, then you should be able to stream music for free using those supported applications.

Are you using the application itself from your mobile? Or you're using their external website?

•Music will only be zero-rated when it is streamed through the participating apps themselves from your mobile phones. Use of third party apps to access the participating apps, such as Sonos, are excluded from the offer

There are some functions within the apps that are excluded from the offer and will use data from your plan. These include:

• Video streaming
  • Album artwork displayed on screen
  • Song downloads
  • Advertisements that the service providers may insert into the app, these can be video ads or banner ads
  • Any analytics sent from the music provider to understand your music preferences and usage
  • Authentication, for example, when the app confirms your login

The Optus Application (Data Insights) will actually tell you all of the applications that has been used that connected to the internet.

To know more about the Optus Music Streaming, click here.

You can call the Optus Customer Care as well if you need further clarification about the charges on your account at 133937.

-------------------
My answers are just my opinions. It doesn't represent Optus or any of it's staffs.
Click Kudos if you find it helpful, and please mark it as an anwer if your problem has been resolved! 😉

-------------------
Click Kudos if you find it helpful, and please mark it as an anwer if your problem has been resolved! 😉
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Hi baxterb - sorry for the late reply! Xenomorph has been super helpful already - but just to add the Streaming will show up in your Data Breakdown on your Insights part of the MyOptus app but it states that zero rated data is displayed but will not count towards your normal data. I hope that makes sense? If you need a hand confirming you're on the right plan etc feel free to drop me a private message with your mobile number, full name and DOB for ID and we'll take a look 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Countessjac
New Contributor

This is happening to me too.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello @Countessjac

Where are you seeing your entertainment data being metered?

It is shown on the data breakdown page of the My Optus app. If you take a look at the Data Breakdown page of the My Optus App, you’ll find a note that states '...Breakdown displays your total data usage, inclusive of any eligible data free services (e.g. included music and video streaming sevices) which you are not charged for. This page displays your total rather than billed usage. 

Also, it will show in your phone's own data monitor because your phone is not connected to your billing arrangement and will thus show everything, including data that is zero metered by Optus. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Countessjac
New Contributor

Thank you Mike-N,

I find it frustrating that I am expected to turn of my mobile data at 50% usage to avoid being charged $10 for an extra GB of data at 100%.  I have now turned off all other 'background' apps that were using data and hopefully I can avoid the additional costs in future.

There should be a function that allows me to accept or reject the additional charge as this 'automatic' charge is causing me financial hardship.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

You're welcome @Countessjac. It sounds like you're going through your data rather quickly. Have you had someone check your usage to see what it's being used on? If not, please send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name and date of birth, and with your permission, we'll take a closer look into it for you and see if we can make any further recommendations. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Ripped_Off
New Contributor

So what happens is that it shows up in your data usage. So then you go over your limit amd Optus charge you $10. Even though the data is meant to not count. But it does for them to bill you.

Then you complain and they investigate and never get an answer for you. My case has been open for 3 weeks and they said it will take 5 days.

One person looked into it and they said that I have never streamed anything but downloaded everything. I don't see how this is possible when you can't do that with a free Spotify account. So they have credited me with every time I have gone over.

Try to make a complaint and they refuse to let you lodge one. Illegal.

Anyway, call and complain about 20 times and you may get a refund. But you will have to do this event month. And you will never be allowed to complain as they won't let you speak to a complaints dept.

New Contributor luchoalbayero
New Contributor

It's mid August 2019 and this is still happening! Unbelievable!!! Come on, Optus. Don't force me to go to ACCC. I like your service, but I will take my 2 lines elsewhere if  you try to take my money like this! I spent an hour with your customer support to just get a "let's wait until the invoice is generated". Get it fixed or I'll be gone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi luchoalbayerom

We’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors