cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Phill6446
New Contributor
New Contributor

Possible data usage scam e mails

I recieved a e mail on Saturday saying data usage at 50% then moments late another saying data usage at 85%.  I thought this very strange as im only 7 days in to my new billing cycle. And knowing my usage this was not normal.

So i logged on to the OPTUS webiste and looked at what they call my dash board with all my details on it. And there it said i was at only 40 % usage.

So i called OPTUS and they looked on my details and comfirmed the same 40% usage, but then its what the man at the OPTUS center said next that got me thinking. 

He said the last time we sent out an alert e mail was the 27th of last month ! So what & who sent me those two other e mails  stating the 85% usage ???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Possible data usage scam e mails

That is very strange and not a scam that i have seen not that I see all of them. Did you check the online usage again the next day to see if the data usage had caught up with what the email messages were reporting? I cant see any point in sending a scam email message unless they wanted you to click on something or take some further action.

0 Kudos
Phill6446
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes i checked the Saturday when  i recievd the e mail & i logged on to the dash board again  today when i called OPTUS. It had then gone to 43% - last updated a few minutes before i was logged in ! 

Strange.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm unless you know how to read mail headers you might have to put that one down as an error somewhere in the data reporting system.

https://www.howtogeek.com/108205/htg-explains-what-can-you-find-in-an-email-header/

0 Kudos
Top Contributors