Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
nickh777
New Contributor
New Contributor

Porting number from previous provider to Optus

It has been over a month now since I have had a phone plan as I haven't needed it during lockdown. However I now need a phone plan for Uni work. 

I recently bought a Optus prepaid plan and wanted to port my previous number to Optus. However when activating my sim card, I got the part of the activation where I have to choose a new number or choose to port my number. Obviously I want to port my number, but the way that Optus wants to port my number is not possible. Optus want me to put in a verification code sent by SMS to my current number, however as I do not have an active sim card in my phone I cannot receive an SMS.

I called Optus two days ago to try and fix what seems to me like a very simple problem. However, I was on the phone for an hour and 52 minutes and had spoken with 5 different people, all of whom sounded like they had no idea what they were doing. The 5th person I talked to had told me that he was going to sort it out by first setting me up an account, and asked me to hold. However while on hold he hung up on me. 

All I want is to port my number to Optus, as I do not want a new number. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as if possible I do not want to call Optus again as they were extremely unhelpful and where just wasting my time. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Porting number from previous provider to Optus

@nickh777 Note: Yes Crowd cannot access or view customer accounts/orders.

With the Overseas Support Centres Closed most of the Optus Support Staff are not working.
As an example There was a post in the Yes Crowd within the last couple of Weeks that Telstra had suspended porting as it required a manual input. That may have changed.

You could try messaging Optus Support via Facebook or Twitter. If you try this include in the message that you do not have access to the My Optus app as this is the preferred Messaging method for Optus Support at this time. 

As you posted the call times are a long wait, if you have to call back 133 937 ignore the prompt to dial 1 and wait for the options.

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
nickh777
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Porting number from previous provider to Optus

Cheers, will try contacting them via facebook

0 Kudos
Top Contributors