Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Optus
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus has launched Visual Voicemail!

For years, we’ve seen a lot of discussion here on Yes Crowd from Optus customers voicing their dissatisfaction that Optus does not offer Visual Voicemail. Our Community Managers and Moderators have passed on your feedback for what feels like forever.
Well we have some great news, it’s been a l-o-n-g time and we hope it was worth the wait, Optus has launched Visual Voicemail!

What is Visual Voicemail?

Visual Voicemail allows you to view your Voicemail message notifications and listen to messages from your iPhone, without having to call 321.

You can:

• Access Voicemail without having to call 321
  • Listen to messages in any order
  • Reply by call or SMS
  • Scroll through messages visually
  • Save, archive or delete messages
  • See message length
  • Replay, pause, rewind or forward messages

Am I eligible?

Visual Voicemail is available to Optus Postpaid Mobile consumer and SMB customers using an iPhone running on iOS9.1 or later.

You must have data available to use Visual Voicemail.

Is there a cost?

Optus Visual Voicemail is $0/month for Optus customers.

Data usage will be zero rated for usage within Australia. If you use Visual Voicemail while roaming, roaming data charges will apply.

How do I add Visual Voicemail?

You need to contact Optus to have Visual Voicemail activated on your service.

Once activated, you can then set up Visual Voicemail on your iPhone by completing these steps on our Visual Voicemail Help and Support page. Visual Voicemail requires a cellular connection, it does not work on WiFI alone.

How do I remove Visual Voicemail?

If you want to remove Visual Voicemail, please get in touch with us.

FAQs

Q: Can I still call 321 to listen to my Voicemail messages?

A:Yes, you can still dial 321 to listen to your messages.

More information on setting up your Voicemail here.

Q: Can I use Visual Voicemail in conjunction with Voice to Text?

No, Visual Voicemail is not available in conjunction with other voicemail messaging services.

Find out how to add or remove Voice to Text here.

Q: What are roaming charges for using Visual Voicemail?

Standard data roaming charges will apply unless you have roaming data as part of your plan or a data pack.

Q: What happens to my old messages when I upgrade to Visual Voicemail?

A: Your old saved messages will still be available via 321. Only new voicemail messages will appear on Visual Voicemail.

33 Replies
Johno42
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus has launched Visual Voicemail!

@Optus Thank you for finally enabling this service. It is greatly appreciated.

Tina_YC

We're glad you're enjoying Visual Voicemail so far, @Johno42 😄 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Johno42
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Optus @Tina_YC 

One quick question... Is the Voicemail transcription service available?

It doesn't seem to be working on my phone (iPhone 6 running iOS 12.4.9).

Thanks.

Tina_YC

Have you looked at our 'How to add or remove Voice to Text' guide? We also have another guide that could assist you as well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Johno42
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Tina_YC 

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that service is not associated with Visual Voicemail, that is the Optus proprietary service that uses a SMS service.

Visual Voicemail is a long standing feature of apple iPhones and iOS that was only launched (enabled) by Optus today.

One of the features (that needs to be enabled by the carrier) is that the voicemails are transcribed as part of the iPhone and iOS rather than being done via an Optus server.

This is what I was checking to see if it is enabled as part of the Visual Voicemail rollout as it is not working on my phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/iphone/iph3c99490e/12.0/ios/12.0

Tina_YC

Thanks for clarifying that for us, @Johno42. I'm afraid Visual Voicemail is not available in conjunction with other voicemail messaging services (Voice2text).

In saying that, I will pass on your feedback to the relevant teams so we can improve our customer service experience. 

0 Kudos
Erwannv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Maybe you should point out that this only applies to customer who bought an iPhone from Optus and not for iPhone Owners

I've just been informed that I am not allowed to have Visual Voicemail enabled with Optus, despite being a loyal customer for years, because I did not buy my iphone12 from Optus,  it is a bit devious

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Its available to all who meet the requirements - having purchased the device through Optus is NOT one of them.
Erwannv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It actually is, as per the message I received

Erwannv_0-1607395958609.png

Top Contributors