cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Netflix streaming data

Hi there, I was just wondering. If I were to connect my hotspot to my laptop and watched Netflix would it use my streaming data or my main data?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Netflix streaming data

Under terms and conditions it says using a mobile hotspot will incur data charges. I must say the last time I answered this question I was wrong but I don't recall why. Maybe some plans do allow tethering without using your data. Hopefully one of the mods will jump in and clarify that.

netflix-streaming-data.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Netflix streaming data

>> I must say the last time I answered this question I was wrong but I don't recall why. Maybe some plans do allow tethering without using your data. Hopefully one of the mods will jump in and clarify that.

No. The mods say the same thing as you, but the people who actually use the mobile plans, use hotspots and watch on their smart TV and usually win. However, there are some TVs that won't work. I forget which models. Sometimes you can do a TV update and it no longer works, so it's a hold your breath job. My LG TV states clearly in the iView app, that it won't work. However, Netflix works on my LG TV app. BUT.. my LG TV is pre HEVC and maybe pre VP9. Netflix is streaming on lower and lower amounts of data. Some of the movies in SD use 360k VP9, so you can easily watch 720p Netflix under the Optus 1.5mbs shaping, but my TV app wrecks up the experience by overshooting bitrate and then backing off.

Top Contributors