Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Shellcaster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Iphone 12 constantly dropping network

I got a new iphone 12 last week with an eSim. The phone randomly looses its connection to mobile data numerous times a day. I can receive calls but message and internet traffic fail. The only way to reestablish connection is to enable and then disable airplane mode.

I've upgraded to ios 14.3, tried switching to 4G mode only instead of 5G automatic, restarted the phone, reset the phones network setting multiple times and even done a full restore but the drop outs continue.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it the phone or the maybe the eSim?

18 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: Iphone 12 constantly dropping network

Hey @Shellcaster, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry you're having issues with using your new mobile. 

We recommend keeping across our Network Status page, which provides up-to-date faults and works that may be impacting your service. You can also register for updates by clicking on 'Report an issue'.

There’s also a range of troubleshooting steps that may help with Mobile faults. We advise you to follow the basic steps so that we can rule out any network or software issues.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus app. Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Shellcaster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah... So none of that really helps.

The data dropouts happen numerous times a day and has been happening since the day I got the phone. Its happening where ever I am.

Over the past week I have been in the city, the eastern and southeastern suburbs of Melbourne. Its dropped the data connection in every location. Over the weekend whenever it happened I've asked my wife who has a Samsung phone on the Optus network if she's lost the network and she hasn't so I really doubt the Network Status Page is going to help.

As stated in the previous message I've tried everything on the Mobile faults page and its pretty hard to use the message app without a data connection.

I'm thinking either the eSim is at fault or the phone is a lemon. I'll get a traditional sim and see if that fixes the problem.

Jack_YC

It's not great to see this issue is persisting @Shellcaster. Taking your phone into on of our stores to pick up a new SIM is a good idea as this can often resolve mobile service issues. 

Another option would be to return your device for assessment. I'd recommend discussing this with our staff in store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Shellcaster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor
Ness_YC

Hi @Shellcaster, thank you for flagging this with us. 

If you are experiencing reception/dropout issues personally please know that we are here to assist. We recommend checking out our Network Status page for works or faults that may be impacting your service.

If no faults exist, we recommend following our step-by-step Troubleshooting Guide. We have found that customers have resolved their reception issues by rebooting their device, checking for software updates, performing a network reset, toggling airplane mode, and/or replacing their SIM Card (which you can do at your closest Optus Store). 

If you require further assistance, we welcome you to chat with our Messaging Team who is available 24/7 via the My Optus App.

Shellcaster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

After spending hours with Apple support online and trying everything they suggested, including deleting and requesting a new eSim from Optus, I am convinced that there is a fault with the phone.

It continues to constantly drop the mobile data connection even in areas where I am receiving a strong signal.

If this issue was a bug in the operating system then Optus would be inundated with iPhone 12 owners with the same problem. So this leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue. 

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Hey @Shellcaster, thanks for getting back to us with an update. If you'd like, you can also test out another SIM (family member or friend's SIM) and see if the issue still persists. 

If you think it's a hardware issue and you purchase this phone from us, please visit your Local Optus store and they will be able a ship your phone out to the warehouse team for inspection. 

Shellcaster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’ll try a physical sim if you think Optus’ eSim is at fault.

However the phone is three weeks old and hasn’t worked as expected from day one. I’m paying for a phone on a plan that cannot reliably connect to the Optus network. Optus trouble shooting suggestions didn’t resolved the issue. Apples tech assistance hasn’t been able to resolve the issue. There is a major flaw in the product I received and it should be replaced. I need the phone for work and shouldn’t be inconvenienced because the phone Optus sold me is faulty.

I want the iPhone 12 and am happy with it despite the reliability issue. I just want the product I’m paying for to work.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

I can see this situation has caused you some frustrations, @Shellcaster.  

In order to see if the fault is due to a manufacturers fault, we will need to send your phone off to our warehouse team so they can inspect and investigate the handset.  Note: Loan phones may be available. 

If you'd like to send your device away for inspection, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus app or visiting your local Optus store. 

Top Contributors