Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Invalid Sim - Trying to use a Japanese sim card on iPhone 6s

Fiona737

Hi, I am currently travelling in Japan, and I have tried to put in a tourist sim card into my iPhone 6s, however, the simcard is not valid error keeps coming up.

I have previously unlocked my iPhone from Optus (and have been able to use a Lebara sim in my phone). But for some reason, international sim cards have not worked for me. I encountered the same issue with a Chinese sim card.

I have already tried the usual recommendations (restart phone, sync with iTunes, toggle airplane mode, update iOS etc.). From a previous thread I read (https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Apple/How-to-Unlock-your-iPhone-from-Optus/m-p/159934/highlight/tru...) it seems that some sort of manual unblocking of the IMEI needs to be done.

Any assitance you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Invalid Sim - Trying to use a Japanese sim card on iPhone 6s

Jeneral__Pain

iPhone devices since the iPhone5 aren't locked to any particular network. 

If the error is "SIM NOT VALID" would suggest either the SIM itself is faulty or not activated. Given you can put your Optus SIM back in and it works, would tell me it's the SIM that is at fault. 

Have you tried another "tourist SIM"?

If you still believe your phone is locked to Optus, Live Chat with Optus via https://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat and select technical support. They can investigate if your claim has any validity and take action to unblock it.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Re: Invalid Sim - Trying to use a Japanese sim card on iPhone 6s

Fiona737

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the time you took to respond, especially as a Yes Crowd Contributor.

To answer your question, I have tried two tourist sims, both a Hong Kong one and a Japanese one. Neither worked, and both came up with the same error.

As an update, I went to the Apple store yesterday, and the lady there was able to identify that the activation policy on my iPhone was locked with an Australian & NZ Service, which is why I am not able to use international sims.

So whoever previously '"unlocked" my phone from Optus did not properly do it. And my several chats with the Live Chat consultants did not result in at least one of them identifying this issue. So that is extremely disppointing.

I have spoken to another Optus consultant since then who has said it will take 7-10 days to unlock. This whole experience has been a complete waste of my time.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
14 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos