Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor WillSith
New Contributor

How to Unlock your iPhone from Optus

I boought my iPhone 5 direct from the apple store on a post paid Optus plan. I have followed the advice on this site to restore the iPhone but it remains locked to Optus (activation server states SIM is not valid). Apple say only Optus can help. How do I unlock the phone if a restore and the current update isn't working?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to Unlock your iPhone from Optus

Hmm it shouldn’t be locked as my old iPhone 4 required nothing more than syncing with iTunes before the new carrier sim would work. Not sure what IOS version you are using however the later versions required nothing more than a restart with the new sim in place. You may need to do a factory reset if you have problems with the update.

Edit: How long ago did you buy this phone?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/how-to-network-unlock-your-iphone?requestType=NormalRequ...

0 Kudos
New Contributor WillSith
New Contributor

Phone bought in Nov. 2012.

I have performed a factory reset by using the erase all content and settings from within the phone. Did not work. Then did another restore (not from a backup) and still get the SIM NOT VALID error. (carrier not supported, etc). Did one more restart just to be sure but still locked out.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm the message you are getting is not what I recall however it has been a few years since I have messed with iPhone sims. Have you got a spare sim you can try in the off chance that it’s a sim related issue? You can get a $2 blank sim from the post office or many supermarkets and such if you don’t have one.

0 Kudos
New Contributor WillSith
New Contributor

No, the SIM is fine as I've tried it in an iPhone 6 and works without a problem.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Hey @WillSith in some cases the IMEI has to manually unblocked. PM me your mobile number, full name, DOB and the IMEI and I can request this for you. Gen 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

New Contributor WillSith
New Contributor

The manual reset at the Optus end worked, Gen_R got this done in minutes....excellent response!

Warning to others, I didn't find this problem until I travelled overseas and tried a local non-Optus SIM even though all the info I read before my trip assured me it would work if it was updated to latest software version. No mention that "some" may need a manual reset. A very expensive and time consuming problem when trying to fix on the other side of the planet!

All good now though.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Steve1980
New Contributor

Hi Gen_R and WillSith,

I've reading through your posts, and I believe I might have the same problem as the one WillSith mentioned in this post.  I got the exact same message as WillSith I.e. Your phone is locked..... activation code.... etc.  I chatted with Apple, and they suggested and I performed the following; Factory reset (erase all settings), updated device to the latest iOS, and restored the phone via iTunes.  Still the same error message appears.  I checked with Apple and they said that according to their records Optus had already unlocked the phone.  Like WillSith I too just discovered this when I went overseas (now in Vietnam), as an Australian Vodafone SIM card strangely worked fine.  

I would greatly appreciate any advice or assistance.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

@Steve1980 More than happy to help you out with this one. Can you please send us a PM with your mobile number, full name and DOB? Shauna 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Steve1980
New Contributor

Thanks so much Shawna,

I have sent you a PM with the details :).

Steve

0 Kudos
Top Contributors