cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
CaitlinKelly93
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Does Optus support Apple Watch family setup?

NO- but as of today (8 December 2020), Family Setup on Apple Watch is finally available in Australia. Looks like the carrier is 'Truphone Australia'.

https://www.apple.com/au/newsroom/2020/12/family-setup-on-apple-watch-is-coming-to-australia/
CaitlinKelly93
New Contributor
New Contributor

As of today (8 December 2020), Family Setup on Apple Watch is finally available in Australia. Looks like the carrier is 'Truphone Australia'. https://www.apple.com/au/newsroom/2020/12/family-setup-on-apple-watch-is-coming-to-australia/

0 Kudos
lmlien
New Contributor
New Contributor

I thought as Apple annouce in Dec 2020 that family setup is ready in Australia. I just bought the watch SE cellular for my daughter and tried to do family setup for her to share number with me, while she can use her own apple's login, having her own profile and message on her watch, she can call me by sharing my number. But keep having error message at Mobile data setup, This OPTUS account cannot add data mobile plan to ... apple watch. I wish I found this forum that everyone experienced this issue before.

Might I ask when Optus support Apple Watch family setup?

0 Kudos
Bud8888
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have subscribed to Truphone service for both of my daughters’ Apple Watch for a few months and they worked really well. The monthly charge is $10.28. No problem with calls so far and they even used it to stream Spotify (using AirPod). Peace of mind to be able to reach them easily..and no, I don’t work for Truphone..just a regular dad.
0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hi @lmlien - thanks for sharing this with us.

We're continuing to assess all avenues for our customers to be able to connect. At this stage, we don't have any news around Apple Watch and the Family set up yet. If we do announce anything though, we'll definitely let you know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Beck187
New Contributor
New Contributor

Anyone who has set up with truphones. Can you explain to me in simple terms how you did this? Do you have a seperate mobile you set the watch up on? When I go to add a carrier to my daughters watch on my phone app it says that Optus doesn’t support this and won’t allow me to add another mobile service?
0 Kudos
BenC
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have my sons watch setup with TruPhone , using my Wifes Iphone 10 as the "parent device".  This device has an Optus Sim.

This was the process we used

https://www.truphone.com/au/about/newsroom/how-to-add-a-mobile-plan-to-your-apple-watch-family-setup...

I think the critical things of note - it HAS to be paired with a parent device -- after I setup the device the first time my son tried to repair his watch to his Apple iPod - which disconnected the Truephone plan and caused chaos - I actually had to let the current plan expire and reset it up...very annoying - took a bit to work out with Truphone tech support.

Finally be aware the apps in family mode are pretty limited - ie cant use Spotify etc.   It the app requires a linked mobile phone it wont work on this Watch.

Tags (2)
Top Contributors