cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Boysari
New Contributor

Charged for unauthorized random international SMS

I joint Optus in April 2017 and since December 2017, i am getting charged random international sms. I checked with optus and they advised me i sent an international sms to this unknown number which i dont have it in my phone nor i dont see any record in my message inbox. I talked to optus and they waive $0.45 from last bill but i still have to pay GST for that. Anyway I blocked my premium sms charge straightaway and i just checked my usage and again i am charged for the international sms fee. This is ridiculous. I never had this issue with Vodfone. Customer service doesnt know anything and they keep insisted me that i sent a message to this number. How can i send message when I dont even have a number? and no record of histroy i sent message to this werid number? There are some service problem here with Optus service. I am not willing to pay extra 50c every month. Can somebody please help me how to stop this?

12 Dec 04:25pm 001158672726268 SMS $0.50

19 Jan  6:55 PM2018 001158672726268  $0.50

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Charged for unauthorized random international SMS

Hmm, it's a bit of a strange one. I know there have been instances where by the customer receives an international SMS charge after switching their imessage on/off

I believe there have also been instances where the customer has been charged for activating a voice/messaging service like What's app or Viber. Does any of the above apply in your situation?

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Boysari
New Contributor

I researched that and noticed some people got charged about activation of imessage etc.. no it wasnt my case and i dont make a phone call whats app or viber. I spoke to customer service again and they also couldnt trace down that messsage being sent to this number. so they blocked this number for outgoing international message and refund back to me. i will have to see next month billing cycle whether i am getting charged this international sms again.  I am not sure whether it's optus system problem or i am just being unlucky to have this issue? this is very strange and i never had this with any other provider. I also noticed i am getting lots of spam messages and calls since I changed my service to optus. I can also find my number in google under optus phone info. I think this is a bit of privacy issue here....

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

By default the number isn't set to private. This is something that we can organise for you from our end. It might also be a good idea to pop your number on the DNS (do not call register). That's a government run initiative. What are you typing in Google search to get details of your phone number? It doesn't list who owns the number does it?  

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Boysari
New Contributor

oh i didnt know i can make my number private with optus. I will ask customer service to do that. Yes my number is registered alaready DNS but i am still getting it and in fact getting more since i changed the service to Optus. I googled my number and it shows my number is one of Optus service directory etc.. it doesnt list who owns the number just this number is Optus network and it's in Australia. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, right. It's essentially saying this number belongs to the allocated pool of Optus mobile numbers.

You're welcome to send us a PM with your account details. I need your full name, DOB and mobile number. I'm happy to make the change from my end.

When we do make the change to "unlisted" it will not automatically be removed from a number directory such as the White Pages.

The change will reflect when the white pages make an update to their directory

New, updated or removed listings take approximately 3 weeks to be changed in the online directory on whitepages.com.au.

New listings will be included in the next version of the printed White Pages. Listings must be supplied by the print closing date.

New Contributor Boysari
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. Do I have to pay for it or is it free of charge?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It's free of charge. It's a simple change that we put through on our end. Follow the URL below to send us a private message.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan