cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can Anyone help with eSIM on prepaid?

Hey Optus,

I am trying to switch my Normal SIM to eSIM on my new iPhone 12 pro. I have followed instructions one by one via Optus app, however, it gives system error when I clicked download eSIM from your app and asks me to contact you.

I have been spending 5 days to deal with this problem and you guys ask me to visit Optus store and I have been visited 2 stores and no one else could help.

Your store asks to me call customer centre and your customer centre lets me visit Optus store.

Can anyone help me to solve the issue otherwise I will visit another Store which is called "Vodafone" to resolve my problem?

I thank you in advance.

Optus customer

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Can Anyone help with eSIM on prepaid?

Hi there, @peter221. Thanks for posting on YesCrowd and also for your question. 

At this stage, Prepaid eSIM is only available in-store (p.s remember to bring valid proof of ID). You won't be able to switch from a Normal SIM to an eSIM using our self-service option on the My Optus App. 

The way prepaid eSIM activation works in-store involves the staff provisioning an eSIM card in our system against your service (mobile number). Once that has been processed, the eSIM card will have a QR code for you to scan on your phone. 

Once you've scanned the QR code, you'll be prompted through your handset's settings to complete the eSIM activation and after that, your Optus Prepaid service will be using the eSIM instead of the normal SIM which you can then take out of your handset.

This question is also answered on our guide to eSIM under FAQ's, which also may contain some other useful information to you so I recommend having a read.

Hope this helps!

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd. If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus app.

Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus
Facebook page or Twitter page
for further assistance.

New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Can Anyone help with eSIM on prepaid

Thanks for answering my question?

But, I have been visited 2 stores and they tole me that post-paid only. On the other hand, they don't know how to process it with pre-paid.

0 Kudos

That's strange to hear, @peter221. I can confirm that eSIM support is available for our Prepaid customers however, it can only be done in store.

The staff will just need to complete a SIM replacement for you in store using our system but instead of using the serial number from a Normal SIM, they'll have to use the serial number listed on the eSIM QR card. 

Once they've submitted the SIM replacement for you in the system, you should be able to scan the QR code within a couple of minutes (can take up to 4 hours but usually is pretty quick).

I've also taken your feedback and have tagged this to be reviewed by the relevant teams to better improve customer experience in our stores. 

Let us know how you go on your next visit to one of our stores. Apologies for the inconvenience caused around this. 

New Contributor
New Contributor

Nard_YC,

I thank you so much, I will take a screenshot to present this one to the in-store staff.
The first in-store staff was calling to *****and she was so rude to pass the phone to me.
The second in-store staff was giving me a blank Optus eSIM and that's it.
I hope the third store would know how to do it when I present your tips to them.

Cheers
Peter
0 Kudos

Anytime, @peter221! 🙂 

Apologies about the experience you had in store, rest assured this has been passed as feedback.

If you run into any issues, we'll be here to help out. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Nard_YCIt is not strange that Optus stores do not know how to do things as this type of problem comes up about once every say 10 days in the yescrowd posts where stores do NOT help out end users palm then back to the myapp or yescrowd.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Finally, one guy from Carlingford(2118) store helps me out with this issue just in 3 mins.

Be my guess, most of in-store staffs are able to help but they don't want to do it.
0 Kudos

Great to see the staff in store where able to help you out @peter221. If you ever have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to us here or via the My Optus App

Top Contributors