cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Mellowfern
New Contributor

Apple Watch series 3 cellular not working

Is anyone else having dramas getting their Apple Watch 3 to connect to cellular without the use of their phones? Any tips to try to get it to work would be great. So far I’ve been bounced between Optus and Apple support and both saying it’s the other persons fault. Even had one person from Optus tell me that the new Apple Watch 3 with cellular only works with your phone nearby.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Moderator Kartika

Re: Apple Watch series 3 cellular not working

Hey @Mellowfern, you should definitely be able to use the Apple Watch 3 to connect to cellular even if you do not have the phone with you. You need to enable number sharing with us on your service. Click on this link on how to activate number sharing on your service. Any questions let us know. Kartik

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor kevin33
New Contributor

I am having the exact same problem. My cellular is not working  when watch is away from mobile or mobile switched off. I enabled number sharing yesterday with Optus. Today I spent 90 minutes in an Optus store. They had no idea and phoned Optus tech support for me but were unable to help. They bumped me to Apple support who advised me to unpair the phone and start the whole setup again from scratch. Done, 5 hours later, still no cellular working.

help.....any suggestions ....

0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

Hey @kevin33, sorry to hear that you are facing the same issue. Since you have already enable number sharing and it is still not working as such can you please PM us here your phone number / account number, full name and date of birth to investigate this further. Kartik

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Hfdm
Occasional Contributor

I am having exactly the same issue too. Very frustrating. Did anyone get a fix?...

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @Hfdm,

As far as call and text functionality is concerned, that's all working as intended? You're just unable to use data services?

"The current Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular is not the same as a Mobile Phone. Some network functionality is not available on these devices; call quality may not be the same standard as a Mobile Phone and may drop out in certain areas. It does not support the LTE 700MHz frequency (which is one of our 4G spectrums) and the call may drop out when you move between 4G to 3G coverage areas whilst on a call."

Do we have a green cellular button? How many bars of signal strength do you receive on the watch?

I'd also suggest that you check for any updates to your carrier settings → 

1. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Are you able to shoot us a PM with your account details? We need your full name, DOB and mobile number. I'm happy to run a few checks for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Timtambomb
New Contributor

Me to. Same problem. Trying to call support but no answer. Please help

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor EnegueWeil
Occasional Contributor

no it actually does work when the phone is at home, and i'm at work. I got it working properly, after formatting the apple watch, contacted optus to reset the number share, relink back to iphone, reinstall app, data etc, and then test it with iphone in plane mode, apple watch with wifi turned off, and mobile reception logo present on watch, and tested it with landline. Bingo! works. 

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @EnegueWeil, glad to hear that you got this one resolved.

This is actually the exact solution that I've been offering customers from my end. Thanks for sharing 🙂 If you have any other questions for us, please let us know. We're happy to help. 

@Timtambomb, I'll be responding back to your private message shortly. We'll chat there! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Mlayland
New Contributor

Hey Guys, 

Similar problem. 😞 got an new Apple Watch series 3 cellular for Christmas. Been trying to get the number share working. When I go to the Watch app> Mobile> set up mobile it says connection failed. The connection to the server was lost. Please try again later. Has had this message for two days. 

Called optus 2 days ago and they activated the number bolt on yet still can’t get it going. 

Many help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Top Contributors